Cryptocurrency: US Pentagon Bans SOFTWAR and Jason Lowery

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 28 22:26:14 PDT 2023

https://blog.lopp.net/softwar-thesis-review/

https://libgen.is/book/index.php?md5=C21554C49A0685AF7EFF9503D687993F
Softwar - A Novel Theory On Power Projection
ISBN: 9798371524188

Softwar by Major Jason Paul Lowery has been banned by the Pentagon.
Request for bitcoiners to make available online

Today Major Jason Paul Lowery tweeted: "For those asking what's been
going on w/me, I was ordered to take SOFTWAR down & asked to stop
talking about the subject publicly. Doesn't appear on MIT's library
either. Can't talk details but things are good & I'm working hard
behind the scenes. Appreciate the kind words."
https://twitter.com/jasonplowery/status/1684637080029196288

I ask bitcoiners who bought the book or have it in digital format to
make it available for the world. It has been pulled from MIT and
Amazon. It's not available on Library Genesis either.

The powers at be want to silence something that appears on this book.
We must fight this censorship!

[–]KAX1107 83 points84 points85 points 1 day ago (4 children)

He said too much

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]MagixTouch 40 points41 points42 points 1 day ago (0 children)

He probably should have added that he is not suicidal.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 17 points18 points19 points 19 hours ago (2 children)

In a deleted tweet before this one, he said ppl should buy and hoard
as much btc as possible and that the big players were already doing
that.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]NectarineDirect936 0 points1 point2 points 11 hours ago (1 child)

The gov. Is selling theirs tho.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 1 point2 points3 points 7 hours ago (0 children)

I’m just relaying what he said. But the government isn’t a monolith,
that’s for sure.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]analogOnly 65 points66 points67 points 1 day ago (32 children)

SOFTWAR Can be read here:
https://aul.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?context=L&vid=01AUL_INST:AUL&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&tab=Everything&docid=alma995901882406836
says a simple google search.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Twitch89 10 points11 points12 points 1 day ago (30 children)

Is there a way to download the pdf that I'm missing?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]fnetma 78 points79 points80 points 1 day ago (15 children)

Here is a downloadable PDF.

https://drive.proton.me/urls/12Y1SW9ERR#OnNky8sz5IfN

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Pacman_Frog 7 points8 points9 points 1 day ago (1 child)

!lntip 500

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lntipbot 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Hi u/Pacman_Frog, thanks for tipping u/fnetma ⚡︎500 (satoshis)!

More info | Balance | Deposit | Withdraw | Something wrong? Have a
question? Send me a message

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DarthBen_in_Chicago 6 points7 points8 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Thank you!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]mootjes007 2 points3 points4 points 20 hours ago (3 children)

!lntip 1000

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Generationhodl 3 points4 points5 points 19 hours ago (1 child)

!lntip 1000

now you have enough sats to tip him

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lntipbot 0 points1 point2 points 19 hours ago (0 children)

Hi u/Generationhodl, thanks for tipping u/mootjes007 ⚡︎1000 (satoshis)!

More info | Balance | Deposit | Withdraw | Something wrong? Have a
question? Send me a message

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lntipbot 0 points1 point2 points 20 hours ago* (0 children)

Hi u/mootjes007, thanks for tipping u/fnetma ⚡︎1000 (satoshis)!

edit: Invoice paid successfully!

More info | Balance | Deposit | Withdraw | Something wrong? Have a
question? Send me a message

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Mrb1d 2 points3 points4 points 8 hours ago (0 children)

400 pages? TLDR? 😀

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]EitherInvestment 1 point2 points3 points 21 hours ago (0 children)

Bless you.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jfhsdkjfhsdkjfhsdkjf 1 point2 points3 points 16 hours ago (1 child)

!lntip 500

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lntipbot 0 points1 point2 points 16 hours ago (0 children)

Hi u/jfhsdkjfhsdkjfhsdkjf, thanks for tipping u/fnetma ⚡︎500 (satoshis)!

More info | Balance | Deposit | Withdraw | Something wrong? Have a
question? Send me a message

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]kbxads 0 points1 point2 points 19 hours ago (0 children)

Da MVP

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jammin_Since_1988 0 points1 point2 points 17 hours ago (0 children)

Thank you!!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ArnzenArms [score hidden] 20 minutes ago (1 child)

!lntip 1000

Boom

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lntipbot [score hidden] 19 minutes ago (0 children)

Hi u/ArnzenArms, thanks for tipping u/fnetma ⚡︎1000 (satoshis)!

More info | Balance | Deposit | Withdraw | Something wrong? Have a
question? Send me a message

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]analogOnly 21 points22 points23 points 1 day ago (4 children)

Not sure if you're supposed to be able to, I think there would be a
download link. But because I also wanted it offline, I did a CTRL+P
(think command P on mac) with the document focused and printed it to a
PDF which seems to work.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jub-n-Jub 4 points5 points6 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Worked for me, thanks internet stranger.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]skrewyouhippie 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Exactly what I needed.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]theBacillus 3 points4 points5 points 1 day ago (1 child)

This guy anti governments

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]analogOnly 5 points6 points7 points 1 day ago* (0 children)

I'm pro downloading what your browser downloaded already anyway.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DaVirus 3 points4 points5 points 1 day ago (6 children)

Inspect element, the raw pdf is there.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]polloponzi 6 points7 points8 points 1 day ago (4 children)

Not sure how much longer will work this key-ids, but yes... is there!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Vagrant8redditor for 3 weeks 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Dammm, this is a crazy read. Thank you! 🥂

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DarthBen_in_Chicago 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (2 children)

Access Denied

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]polloponzi 0 points1 point2 points 21 hours ago (1 child)

use the web inspector, go to the network tab, reload the website, sort
resources loaded by size.. the pdf is around 6MB, right click and copy
the link to it.. open it on new tab

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DarthBen_in_Chicago 0 points1 point2 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

Thanks! Was trying on my phone.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]analogOnly 2 points3 points4 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Yeah, either way works.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]COVID19MurderHornet 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

https://na-st01.ext.exlibrisgroup.com/01AUL_INST/storage/alma/3F/80/56/FA/B5/BE/85/C0/E1/B2/8A/2D/38/35/35/04/Softwar_A%20Novel%20Theory%20on%20Power%20Projection.pdf?Expires=1690512365&Signature=bOS~zbOF3U-bG6Db8TK8oxCvi4tlIXvHaXgtrmv7RMBUXqfpoEzvhipEAuAxGOwgDlBrP~bkmq0zH3tTNuiqnxJhyKQYMgO9Ce~T3A-dXuXJtiQzxQjC9Bjd71F3jGxEQ0OH6xuey3fjNxoOOyjstKlJ2k-pMxT~EMNM2KcaCxIK0nXC-HP97wmpEef8w2myUs0nsyoenf6NUorxDny7pEFQc3LG9x0EdGyjZONL6UFES1DxIhF~D7XsgtuaVmNrEgFapnyZWHUei~yi~J6YAQFFxdtkWKb52i~RBAqNkYyOhRdf2TR~tJVDhOuA3UDbtS0mfCQAeTQcq2WeKMA~LA__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJ72OZCZ36VGVASIA

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]oojacoboo 5 points6 points7 points 22 hours ago (0 children)

Can someone run this through ChatGPT for cliff notes?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]R24611 32 points33 points34 points 1 day ago (5 children)

eBay has only one available for $25,000

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]adigabusymind 3 points4 points5 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Lol

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]zeitgeist785 2 points3 points4 points 17 hours ago (0 children)

Happy to sell mine for 50M sats

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DarkNeo88 1 point2 points3 points 13 hours ago (2 children)

Now there are two copies haha

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]R24611 0 points1 point2 points 13 hours ago (1 child)

wtf another listing has one listed as “Collectible Softwar Abstract
Page (First 400 words) by Jason Lowery “ for $100.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DarkNeo88 1 point2 points3 points 3 hours ago (0 children)

Ahahaha there are now 6 copies on there 😆

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DetectiveTank 16 points17 points18 points 1 day ago (5 children)

Maybe this is a sign they bought in to his thesis?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Murtux[S] 13 points14 points15 points 1 day ago (1 child)

I guess so... that's why I'm interested in reading it now

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]old_contemptible 0 points1 point2 points 11 hours ago (0 children)

I'm about 80 pages in, good read.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 6 points7 points8 points 1 day ago (1 child)

No competitive advantage if it’s posted for everyone

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DetectiveTank 2 points3 points4 points 17 hours ago (0 children)

That's what I was thinking.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 5 points6 points7 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

Or maybe it's a marketing strategy on his part, like other strategies
he's put in place on Twitter previously to build buzz. Who knows,
after all!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BrotherAmazing 9 points10 points11 points 1 day ago (0 children)

I believe the phrase is “the powers that be”.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]classic_aut0 22 points23 points24 points 1 day ago (3 children)

Fuck i should have bought it when I saw it. I'm already behind on my
reading list and thought I'd finish my current before buying this for
the queue. Sad.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Forgot_Password_Dude 14 points15 points16 points 1 day ago (0 children)

i got the signed version. i have post-it notes on almost every page

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Murtux[S] 4 points5 points6 points 1 day ago (1 child)

same u.u

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]analogOnly 7 points8 points9 points 1 day ago (0 children)

It's available online, I posted a link

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SunnyDayShadowboxer 6 points7 points8 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Physical copy feels that much cooler now.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]solomonsatoshi 33 points34 points35 points 1 day ago (26 children)

What happened to freedom of speech in the USA?

Why doesn't he say what is happening 'behind the scenes'?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ts_wrathchild 38 points39 points40 points 1 day ago (10 children)

The man has a high security clearance, which makes it a crime to say
things he's not supposed to say. Conversations with superiors can be
classified information. In this case I'm positive the reasoning is
classified.

For whatever reason the US gov sees information in this book as
dangerous. That's about the best we're ever going to hear from it.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]BigDrippinSammichredditor for 3 months 36 points37 points38 points
1 day ago (4 children)

The book would have had to be inspected to see if there was anything
classified prior to publishing. There is nothing classified in that
book. Something political is happening.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jub-n-Jub 14 points15 points16 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Spot on.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]adventurejay 9 points10 points11 points 1 day ago (2 children)

It’s probably because the book talks about weaponizing “proof of work”
systems, i.e. Bitcoin and that’s actually what they’re planning on
doing, so they don’t want their adversaries getting the jump on them.
Just my guises.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SuccessfulPlenty942 3 points4 points5 points 23 hours ago (1 child)

Can you elaborate on this weaponizing proof of work?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 4 points5 points6 points 1 day ago (0 children)

    For whatever reason the US gov sees information in this book as dangerous

Good

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]trufin2038 comment score below threshold-8 points-7 points-6 points
1 day ago (3 children)

Security clearance is unconstitutional imo.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DavidHallackredditor for 7 weeks -1 points0 points1 point 1 day ago
(0 children)

Correct, only the congress can have secrets, no one else.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nyaaaa -1 points0 points1 point 15 hours ago (1 child)

Not if you want the constitution to exist and be alive.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]trufin2038 -1 points0 points1 point 14 hours ago (0 children)

Commies are not a necessary ingredient of freedom

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TakingChances01 11 points12 points13 points 1 day ago (8 children)

You sign away your rights when you join the military.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau -1 points0 points1 point 15 hours ago (7 children)

He can resign if he wants to speak more freely.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TakingChances01 1 point2 points3 points 13 hours ago (5 children)

Lmao. No he can’t. You can’t just resign from the military, you sign a
contract for a specified amount of years.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RedditUser381491 1 point2 points3 points 12 hours ago (4 children)

He's a major. He doesn't have a contract per say but has likely
extended his required serve time by an ADSO for the fellowship. Having
said that he's got so much time in, it'd be kind of foolish to give up
the retirement he'd hit at 20 years. But the comment is correct that
you don't have the same rights while serving, especially considering a
lot of his stuff appears in uniform which could be misconstrued as
representing the opinion of the government from a regulation
standpoint.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TakingChances01 0 points1 point2 points 10 hours ago (3 children)

Officers still have to commit to more time in service normally by the
2 or 3 years. Sometimes depending on how the army is paying for their
degree they commit to 10 years at a time. You’re right that it’s not
like an enlisted contract but they still can’t just resign, and as
long as he’s been in he’d have to put in a retirement packet and go
through that months long process.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RedditUser381491 0 points1 point2 points 9 hours ago (2 children)

That's not exactly true. They incur service obligations for specific
events but don't always have a service obligation ongoing. IE they
have a service ADSO for the captain career course if they go / some
other military education. He could drop a REFRAD/UQR if he currently
doesn't have an ADSO, not a retirement packet. Retirement packets are
only for 20 years. At least in the Army, you can submit at minimum 6
months in advance for a REFRAD/UQR. 10 year agreements are normally
flight or specialized. Most ROTC is 4 years, WP 5 years, and OCS 3
years in the Army. Chances are as a major he's completed all this
initial obligation and might have an ADSO for his fellowship of a
couple years.

Source: Got out of the Army as an officer.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TakingChances01 0 points1 point2 points 9 hours ago (1 child)

You know more than I do about the officer side of it but I still am um
under the impression anything past 10 years of service is considered
retirement.

Got out after 5 years but was enlisted. Good to see other bitcoiners
from our walk of life around here though.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]RedditUser381491 0 points1 point2 points 8 hours ago (0 children)

Respect. I'm sure there's more of us than we realize.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JeffWest01 0 points1 point2 points 12 hours ago (0 children)

Nope. I am a contractor, and anything I publish, for life, has to be
reviewed first based on my clearance.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SmoothGoing 8 points9 points10 points 1 day ago (0 children)

"Congress shall make no law .. abridging the freedom of speech.."

It's still working fine. Congress did not pass a law restricting the
author's freedom of speech. He is welcome to resist whatever pressure
that he alleges is put on him. It's likely a nuanced situation due to
his position.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jub-n-Jub 4 points5 points6 points 1 day ago (0 children)

He is in the military. Not the same rights. If he says he can't talk
about it, he can't talk about it.

But if someone were to make a pdf available I would be willing to send sats.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau -1 points0 points1 point 15 hours ago (3 children)

When you accept a job with a government agency, you're sworn to
secrecy. It's part of the job. He can resign if he wants to continue
to express himself freely.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SunnyDayShadowboxer 4 points5 points6 points 13 hours ago (1 child)

I'm the first to admit I don't know what the exact regulations are
surrounding speech when holding a position in the military.

It is interesting though that the book has argueably 0 classified info
in it. BTC in itself is open source and completely public. The book
only contains his thoughts surrounding the tech.

I would assume this is the military distancing itself from what could
be perceived as 'political' discourse.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Force1a 0 points1 point2 points 11 hours ago (0 children)

That's most likely the case. They don't want it to seem like their
branch of the military is pushing for this and while he works there
they probably don't want him using his position as a selling point.

Despite this sub's paranoia, it's highly unlikely that this is part of
some deep government conspiracy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JeffWest01 0 points1 point2 points 12 hours ago (0 children)

Nope. Some rules are binding for life.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 24 points25 points26 points 1 day ago (17 children)

I was a supporter of Jason's from the beginning, didn't read the
thesis but listened to pretty much every podcast he was on, generally
agreed with his ideas, thought the bashing on Twitter was unfair and
mostly uninformed. But man... something happened to him after the book
was published. His tweeting started to seem really erratic and
unhinged and IMO he was showing some signs of mental instability,
possibly having manic or hypomanic episodes. I don't think his
subsequent periodic absences or this latest development mean what
people think they mean.

Plenty of links to digitized copies in the tweet replies, btw

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Vaginosis-Psychosis 17 points18 points19 points 1 day ago (11 children)

That was intentional. He spoke about it at length. The reason was to
manipulate the twitter algorithm to give him more exposure. It was an
experiment and it worked.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 6 points7 points8 points 1 day ago (1 child)

🤣🤣🤣

I remember him discussing this on Robert Breedloves podcast.

Hilarious that it worked so well.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 4 points5 points6 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Hilarious that today's tweet is working so well, based on the
reactions in this sub.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]weigel23 4 points5 points6 points 1 day ago (5 children)

I bet this is another one of his experiments to sell more copies of his book.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 5 points6 points7 points 1 day ago (3 children)

As we all know, the best way to sell books is to delist them 🙄

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]weigel23 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (1 child)

I haven't checked. Is it really gone everywhere?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

As far as I know it was only on Amazon

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 0 points1 point2 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

The next step probably.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 0 points1 point2 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

100% Agree.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

I remember that discussion in relation to him going on the mass
blocking spree. I'm talking about later on. It really went off the
rails in April and May.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Cocopoppyhead 0 points1 point2 points 18 hours ago (0 children)

What a way thst is to lose friends and alienate people.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 0 points1 point2 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

Totally agree on that. He's done the same thing before to manipulate
Twitter's algorithm. Now he wants to make himself look like a Bitcoin
martyr.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 14 points15 points16 points 1 day ago (2 children)

Also, interesting that his final tweet before this one was the day
after Jameson Lopp published his critique. If you weren't following,
Lopp write a critique of Jason's theory based on articles and
podcasts. He got endlessly hammered by Jason and his supporters for
critiquing a thesis that he hadn't read, even though he was clear that
he hadn't read the thesis and was critiquing the ideas that had been
put forth in quite a lot of detail prior to the book being released.
After a bunch of badgering he finally sat down and read the whole
thing and published a more in depth critique based on the book itself:

https://blog.lopp.net/softwar-thesis-review/

Jason's last tweet was the next day, just a picture of him presumably
driving up to the Pentagon.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]lurk4343 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

There is a link in this review.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 0 points1 point2 points 12 hours ago (0 children)

One more point: when I browse the Systems Design and Management
section of the MIT thesis collection I see a large batch of papers
with an issue date of Feb 2023 and nothing more recent. Jason
graduated in June. Entirely likely that the theses for his graduating
class will be published in a batch sometime in the next couple of
months. His statement here is disingenuous at best:

​

    For those asking what's been going on w/me, I was ordered to take
SOFTWAR down & asked to stop talking about the subject publicly.
Doesn't appear on MIT's library either.

This might be a crazy theory, but hear me out. Maybe, just maybe, he's
in fact not being taken seriously and DoD wasn't crazy about him
mentioning Space Force in his Amazon bio to try to add legitimacy to
it, and maybe he's overstating his role as an advisor to the DoD and
White House:

​

    Jason "Spook" Lowery is an active-duty astronautical engineer in
the US Space Force. Jason has a decade of experience as a weapon
system developer and technical advisor for US senior officials. He has
advised US senior leaders on the national strategic security
implications of Bitcoin, to include the Office of the President of the
United States, the Office of the Secretary of Defense, and the Office
of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Murtux[S] 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (1 child)

haven't seen any link to digitized copies... could you point into the
right direction?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 6 points7 points8 points 1 day ago (0 children)

It's a pdf and I can't vouch for the source, download at your own risk.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xF6qA8PUHohxn3gwAtzz7oPmR2WGl7vK/view

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]solomonsatoshi 6 points7 points8 points 1 day ago (14 children)

Would have bought it if price had been reasonable ~ it was so expensive to buy.

Any links to a download?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]backcountrydrifter 11 points12 points13 points 1 day ago (9 children)

I have a hard copy. I’ll scan and send it to you if you like.

I feel like I owe you that. You pretty much brought me into this world

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Murtux[S] 8 points9 points10 points 1 day ago (1 child)

please upload it to library genesis

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]TeKillaSunRise 0 points1 point2 points 16 hours ago (0 children)

https://library.bz/uploads/main/c21554c49a0685af7eff9503d687993f.pdf

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]UhhhmWut 7 points8 points9 points 1 day ago (5 children)

Airport stole my copy in security 2 weeks ago lol. Tryna buy it second
hand for sats from some bird app friends. If you make it available, I
would love to send you a LN payment!! Please let me know.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]delhibuoy 3 points4 points5 points 1 day ago (0 children)

What!? Why!?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]The_Realist01 2 points3 points4 points 1 day ago (2 children)

Sorry, an airport stole a book?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]UhhhmWut 9 points10 points11 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Dramatic on my part. They searched my bag normally and the book was
gone after. Lost and found hasn’t found it. Sucks, lol.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Pacman_Frog 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Bird app?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]National_Ad2590 2 points3 points4 points 1 day ago (3 children)

Always been free to the public.
https://aul.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/delivery/01AUL_INST:AUL/995901882406836#1397573980006836

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]solomonsatoshi 0 points1 point2 points 23 hours ago (2 children)

Thank you- watched the utube stuff on this and looked for book
download as price was too high for my budget but now have your link
its great to be able to read this thesis.

It seems a far fetched thesis but interested to see what the in full
detail arguments are for it...and why it appears to have been censored
by mainstream book vendors...and the Pentagon?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]National_Ad2590 1 point2 points3 points 22 hours ago (1 child)

Not censored at all. That’s a government link. The thesis is free to
the public. Repackaging and selling it to people as if it isn’t free
was the problem.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]solomonsatoshi 1 point2 points3 points 22 hours ago (0 children)

Agree not a good look if Lowery was trying to profit from government
funded research.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]jelloshooter848 5 points6 points7 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Apparently the DOD has never heard of the Streisand effect….

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Shoodaddy4 2 points3 points4 points 1 day ago (0 children)

I would also like a digital copy.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 4 points5 points6 points 20 hours ago (0 children)

Unless it's another tactic he's using to make himself even more
talked-about... To make himself look like a Bitcoin martyr.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Equivalent_Local_701 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Bought it

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Wodl_App 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Wow I’m glad I bought a copy when I did then

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]IIamII 1 point2 points3 points 22 hours ago (1 child)

Wait... isn't that kind of s big deal? I would love to get my hands on
s physical copy now :)

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 1 point2 points3 points 19 hours ago (0 children)

I think yes.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DarkNeo88 1 point2 points3 points 21 hours ago (1 child)

Sooo printed copies are officially scarce now right?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 1 point2 points3 points 19 hours ago (0 children)

Yes

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Jakeomio 1 point2 points3 points 16 hours ago (0 children)

PDF-Version can be found here:

https://upload.disroot.org/r/9aV7buw1#euikXZSwiGCfSQC1HDzIJvl7BPwZMRrfmn1KXUDpATU=

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Sneudles 4 points5 points6 points 1 day ago (1 child)

This guy psyop'd the Twitter algo by deleting everyone to sell this
book, while explaining how he was doing it, while he was doing it. So
this is also pretty genius to drop right after the uap hearings. I see
you Jason. The thesis is incredible tho and everyone should go read
it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 1 point2 points3 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

A new marketing strategy on its part to brand itself as a Bitcoin
martyr that some want to silence ...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]National_Ad2590 3 points4 points5 points 1 day ago (4 children)

Dude, it’s right where it’s always been. He’s probably in trouble for
monetizing something tax payers paid for. DoD doesn’t send you to
school to write a paper so you can sell it to the people who sent you
to school. https://aul.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/delivery/01AUL_INST:AUL/995901882406836#1397573980006836

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (3 children)

He didn’t monetize it. I think his amount earned per book was effectively zero

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]National_Ad2590 2 points3 points4 points 22 hours ago (2 children)

How does that make any sense to you. He sold a free public thesis to
people ( who already paid for it in tax dollars) at twice the cost of
a standard new release.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 1 point2 points3 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

A marketing genius!

Selling citizens something free of charge that they have helped to finance...

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 0 points1 point2 points 19 hours ago (0 children)

He explained it was down to the oversized pages needed for his
drawings , color print, book size and low volume. Couple that with
amazons cut and it sounds fair.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]The_Realist01 2 points3 points4 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Fuck yes, I got one baaaayby.

That guy pissed me off with his antics on Twitter though. Blocking and
unblocking people within a day to keep him in the conversation etc.

Decent theory though. Wish it was borderline ANYONE else though.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]rockpaperbanana 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Probably nothing..

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nazdock -1 points0 points1 point 1 day ago (0 children)

there is nothing crazy here, you cant leverage your military status
for personal gain; which he did.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JosephBlowFish 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (12 children)

It’s a really dumb thesis though.

“Hey guys, what if, umm, countries decided to—GUYS!—what if, what if
all wars were replaced by mining Bitcoin?! That would be cool.”

As helpful useful and amazingly awesome as Bitcoin is, it does not
replace physical force when that’s what you’re defending against.

This is not like Bitcoin where the genius of it is not immediately
obvious. It’s just a really dumb idea with a bunch of tortured logic
to attempt to compare Bitcoin to a weapon. It’s a dumb thesis because
the reasoning makes no bloody sense.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SunnyDayShadowboxer 8 points9 points10 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Novel form of power projection in cyberspace, not a replacement for
physical force. Yes, owning bitcoin won't directly help in a fist
fight.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 1 point2 points3 points 14 hours ago (0 children)

    It’s a dumb thesis because the reasoning makes no bloody sense.

👏👏👏

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 0 points1 point2 points 13 hours ago (7 children)

You somehow managed to completely bastardize his entire thesis, when a
simple Google search would give you a succinct answer in seconds.

Well done dumbass.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JosephBlowFish -2 points-1 points0 points 11 hours ago (6 children)

If you can’t explain how I’ve bastardized it, you don’t understand the thesis.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 5 points6 points7 points 11 hours ago (5 children)

The bitcoin network applies physical constraints to cyberspace, thus
making anything secured with said network prohibitively expensive for
a cyber threat to attack.

That is the thesis. One sentence. It’s very simple.

Compare that to your interpretation: “Hey guys, what if, umm,
countries decided to—GUYS!—what if, what if all wars were replaced by
mining Bitcoin?! That would be cool.”

So you’re either here just to be a dick or to argue in bad faith,
either way deserves to be brutally mocked.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JosephBlowFish -1 points0 points1 point 10 hours ago (4 children)

Awesome! Thank you for clarifying that proof-of-work is useful.

Last I checked, it was Hal Finney and Satoshi Nakamoto who came up
with that thesis. Major Lowery is a charlatan aping their game.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 2 points3 points4 points 10 hours ago (3 children)

So you switched from “The thesis is stupid” to “It was genius all along”.

Nice.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JosephBlowFish 0 points1 point2 points 10 hours ago (2 children)

You paid for a badly written version of Satoshi’s white paper.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 0 points1 point2 points 10 hours ago (1 child)

I didn’t buy the book. I have the free published version, which you
would know existed if you knew anything about it.

Just take the L and move onto your next one.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JosephBlowFish 0 points1 point2 points 8 hours ago (0 children)

🫡

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]therealcpain 0 points1 point2 points 14 hours ago (1 child)

I think you’re missing the point.

    physical power in the real world is the end all be all. It
“overpowers” any abstract power structure. A senate is fucking useless
when you got a million man army outside your gates.
    my interpretation of the hypothesis is that proof of work is a way
to secure information, using “power”, in the digital space

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]JosephBlowFish 0 points1 point2 points 11 hours ago (0 children)

If that is the point that I’m missing…

…then what is the point of the Bitcoin white paper which explains
Bitcoin’s security model?

If Proof of Work is the real innovation here—and it fucking certainly
is!—then why not refer to Hal Finney’s work? He invented proof of
work. Satoshi put it to use. Those two are innovators.

Major Lowery is a charlatan.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]DaVirus comment score below threshold-6 points-5 points-4 points 1
day ago (12 children)

To be fair: the dude is a prick and he published his thesis ahead of
it being actually made free/public as a conclusion of his Phd. So he
is 100% a grifter lol

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Murtux[S] 16 points17 points18 points 1 day ago (9 children)

It doesn't justify the censorship of the book

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DaVirus 2 points3 points4 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Regardless of it though, I am for freedom.
https://aul.primo.exlibrisgroup.com/discovery/fulldisplay?context=L&vid=01AUL_INST:AUL&search_scope=MyInst_and_CI&tab=Everything&docid=alma995901882406836

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DaVirus 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (7 children)

He is also not a civilian. So... Rules of free speech actually don't
apply to him.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]IndependentSpeck 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (6 children)

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created
equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable
Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of
Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted
among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed..."

Yeah, you are right. Which is so messed up because we are, as the
supreme document outlining the rights and protections of the country
says, CREATED EQUAL. NOT SUBORDINATE. If our best and brightest are
being coerced into sacrificing their freedoms for the sake of
protecting this nation, then they are being abused by the system, its
a classic example of tyranny of the people in power. Why is it okay
for a congressman to break the rules but not the very people defending
us all with their lives?

We need to gut the system and start over. It doesn't make sense the
government has the right to violate everyone else's rights, especially
soldiers, in order to protect their hegemony and their monopoly on
power in the country. They side with big banks to control the country
with an iron fist.

Bitcoin will bring about a separation of money from state. It's been a
long time coming and it won't take much longer now. Our people,
sovereign individuals, that constitute this country are the people who
should matter equally. Not just the rich and politically-motivated
senators and house representatives.

Bitcoin is going to force this country to be what it was meant to be,
we will live free or die. The whole world will benefit from this too
with the restricting of the hegemonic powers causing a direct cut from
their ability to put expenditures on war.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[+]DaVirus comment score below threshold-9 points-8 points-7 points 1
day ago (5 children)

Miss me with the Creator bullshit.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]IndependentSpeck 5 points6 points7 points 1 day ago (4 children)

Eh, I am agnostic, so I don't care about that part. The part that
matters is that we are equal and that government should only derive
its powers from the consent of the governed. I didn't get a say in my
government and what it does. I didn't consent to war and bailing out
big banks and allowing for any entity with money to essentially buy
the politicians their seats of power. Did you?

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DaVirus -2 points-1 points0 points 1 day ago (3 children)

Nope. I agree with you there. (Not American btw). But I am an
anarchist, so I don't even believe anyone is should have any control
over anyone else.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]IndependentSpeck 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (2 children)

Interesting. I'm libertarian and I share that view with you 100%,
nobody should be allowed to have any authority over someone else. I am
hoping the future will bring some technology that will allow for a
safe anarchistic society. Maybe someday nanotechnology will develop
something like force fields to physically block any threat of
violence, or maybe a computer-brain interface device that people could
opt-in to getting to allow for links between peoples' minds and
immediately make it known when they are in danger to everyone else
with or without a chip.

Or maybe not. That could also be a hilariously bad idea and backfire.
But bitcoin solved the byzantine general's problem which no one
believed could be solved, so maybe it could be a good idea somehow,
someday.

Anyway, yeah, we agree, bitcoin helps bring about a better society.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DaVirus 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (1 child)

In my opinion the only thing you need is abundance. Once humans can
settle their basic pyramid of needs, the need for violence goes out of
the window.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]GoggleGeek1 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Some people are violent for "fun".

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 1 point2 points3 points 15 hours ago (0 children)

    To be fair: the dude is a prick and he published his thesis ahead
of it being actually made free/public as a conclusion of his Phd. So
he is 100% a grifter lol

An unpopular opinion, but one I share.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 1 point2 points3 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Masters, not PhD.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]abysse 0 points1 point2 points 23 hours ago (0 children)

Very few comments talk about what’s in the book. Maybe some may shed
some lights ?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Capital-Difficulty-6 -2 points-1 points0 points 20 hours ago (1 child)

I listened to the first 10 minutes of the first chapter and he sounds
like a dumbass lol. I think this is just shock marketing but even if
it’s not hard pass for me

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 0 points1 point2 points 14 hours ago (0 children)

For many people, it's impossible to go any further.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Cocopoppyhead -1 points0 points1 point 18 hours ago (0 children)

He was probably reigned in from being an asshole online.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]flip-joyredditor for 3 months -2 points-1 points0 points 16 hours
ago (0 children)

“As history has shown time and time again, all it takes is one
engineer to subvert the authority of an entire military institution
and undermine its combined expertise.” — Major Jason Paul Lowery

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]chuckberry314 -5 points-4 points-3 points 1 day ago (4 children)

I see it on Amazon. This sounds like a reverse psyop to sell more.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]tbkrida 10 points11 points12 points 1 day ago (1 child)

I just checked Amazon and it says “Currently Unavailable”.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SunnyDayShadowboxer 5 points6 points7 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Yup, not available.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 3 points4 points5 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Post the link cause I’m calling BS

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

He posted the memo letterhead and intro.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]notagain24 0 points1 point2 points 1 day ago (0 children)

Wow

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]borg_6s 0 points1 point2 points 22 hours ago (3 children)

I swear I never heard of this thing before, but just announcing it
being banned makes me curious and want to check it out.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]Crafty_Supermarket15 1 point2 points3 points 19 hours ago (0 children)

Naturally

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]sylsau 0 points1 point2 points 14 hours ago (1 child)

This is obviously the aim of this marketing strategy.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ILikePracticalGifts 0 points1 point2 points 13 hours ago (0 children)

You’re right, all great marketing strategies include pulling your only
source of revenue and completely stop talking about your subject
altogether.

Genius!

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]EitherInvestment 0 points1 point2 points 21 hours ago (0 children)

“Things are good” I’d hope is speaking to his psychological state.

Must be very depressing for the poor guy. Years of effort on this project.

I wonder what aspects of it are so controversial. I’d hope it is that
they already agree with his thesis and are implementing it but for
national security reasons do not want their strategy being so widely
and publicly discussed.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]worldcitizencane 0 points1 point2 points 16 hours ago (0 children)

Funny they never learn. If they had done nothing, few people would
have known. Doing shit like this is the fastest way to ensure the
whole world reads about it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]DA2710 0 points1 point2 points 15 hours ago (1 child)

He’s active duty. Bitcoin is political (among many other things)

DOD doesn’t want officers engaging publicly on politically sensitive
topics. That’s all there is to it.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]SunnyDayShadowboxer 1 point2 points3 points 14 hours ago (0 children)

Bitcoin is an apolitical technology, but yes, as it was created by
humans with political/economic ideas, it could be argued that it
demonstrates properties aligned with those ideas.

    embed
    save
    parent
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]randompittuser 0 points1 point2 points 14 hours ago (0 children)

How much of this is manufacturing controversy to get his book and name
out there?

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]nyaaaa 0 points1 point2 points 14 hours ago (0 children)

Shovel technology still defeats the maybe hypothetical "softwar"

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]redrocketman74 0 points1 point2 points 11 hours ago (0 children)

It wasn't "pulled from MIT", it was never posted. None of the theses
from his graduating class have been posted yet. He left out that small
detail.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]ZZLuka 0 points1 point2 points 10 hours ago (0 children)

This is real interesting. I suspect this is why the tech field is
facing mass layoffs, the core reason, and there’s bias against hiring
younger folks right now. SOFTWAR is going REAL in more ways than one.

Fucking Christ.

    embed
    save
    report
    give award
    reply

[–]thekennethmoon 0 points1 point2 points 9 hours ago (0 children)

Im just guessing it has to do with representing the military while
releasing an opinion. If he didn’t broadcast his employer it wouldn’t
be an issue, though a lot of the books credibility comes from him
being in the military.

    embed
    save
    report