Fri Jul 7 18:33:34 PDT 2023

On 7/7/23, Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many
<gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/23, Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many
> <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> regarding focus on a tree rather than a prompt, we might imagine
>> instead some form kf access or memory present in the system. a robot
>> for example might travel near important information, or pursue a step
>> toward a goal, or an agent might be in or not in a state where a goal
>> is already partly met
>
> the tree is roughly the decision tree i think which i have
> somewhat-mysterious-inhibition around. it can go different spots.
>
> for example if we are playing tictactoe and want to win, we might
> consider all the different moves we might make. this list of moves
> forms the second row of a tree of parts of the world being considered,
> kinda maybe rooted in what is certainly known about the present moment
> which has only one option. then for each of those move states we
> consider other things such as what the other player might do, or how
> judgements apply to the move based on things known … … at some point
> in this considering we form judgement or find states where the game is
> won or lost.
>
> regions or possibilities in the tree where the game is lost fail to
> meet the goal of winning the game and consideration is no longer
> proceeded there and the areas need no longer be held in memory, it’s
> maybe important to remove them to ensure they are properly nonincluded
> during furhter c9nsideration (like an assertion check), assuming they
> can always be reconsidered to rebuild the same data
>
> meanwhile regions or possibilities where the game is won meet the goal
> of winning the game. the tree can be considered a planning structure
> for meeting this goal, finding a path from the present moment to the
> goal, start8ng from the present moment for efficient information
> access if there is time pressure
>
> i imagine it can also be quite useful to start in the middle
> especially in large spaces, this might assume something is known about
> usual ways of meeting the goal in the environment, or at the end if
> more is known at the end, and it’s nice to imagine including all three
> in some way, unsure. basically new information might crop up anywhere
> i suppose.
>
> it’s interesting to think of probabilistic information on various
> areas being summaries or guesses of hidden expansions in detail

something i eventually found nice success around here was writing a
tree exploration algorithm capable of changing where it was in the
tree as priorities of different branches changed during exploration.
this was pretty inhibited for me! i wrote a couple and i had chatgpt
write some and i feel much more comfortable with it now! took some
years. i still don’t use other parts of tree structures unfortunately
and kinda strangrly. i think i probably emgaged that part because i
associated it both with data structures and with AI, so it had maybe
double the inhibition for me. i thought it would open up trees more,
but maybe implementing it more would also help … it feels more
inhibited after writing this