[ot][personal] naive dissociation therapy notes

Sat Aug 5 11:57:11 PDT 2023

On 8/5/23, Undescribed Horrific Abuse, One Victim & Survivor of Many
<gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:
> - honestly my path has been involving getting really “tough” with a
> skill, to persistence it across extreme experiences. i chose to do
> this with only one skill, not kmowing what would happen. the end
> result is you can perform that skill much better than other behaviors,
> and you also develop skill at doing things through extreme experiences
> in general, which is quite useful. however, the skill becomes very
> simple and rote, like a dumb muscley athlete in the brain, because it
> was maintained through hell with formation and association of triggers
> to exhaustion. i get the impression that therapists and psychiatrists
> try to avoid that route.
also its utility shrank a lot from the formation and association.
- a better way to preserve a skill is to have it be what you do when
dissociating, distracting, indulging, coping. this could mean adding a
lot of reward, changing what it is some to be more about fun and
relaxation, and/or suffering by not coping in ways that are easier,
demanding it be how you cope. it seems likely helpful to find a way to
do it for fun with others somehow, and to keep it in areas that are
easy and simple and develop slowly from there.

- another i left out is the value of notes. notes can be super hard to
make but they provide much more conscious understanding of one’s
experiences. comparable things include talking with others, making
stories or music or art, or even getting angry. things that help you
comprehend and notice what you are doing and experiencing, what works
and what doesn’t.