[cryptography] OTR and deniability

lodewijk andré de la porte lodewijkadlp at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 03:24:43 PDT 2011

I had a laugh here, though you were talking of the film "A few angry men"
which to me somehow equals "12 angry men". This was somewhat confusing
because (spoiler alert) in that film a boy is nigh executed however because
someone decided to first carefully weigh all the evidence against him, none
of it seemed undeniably true and therefor by the reasoning of "innocent
unless proven otherwise" they couldn't reasonably sent a child off to die.

The same plausible deniability that OTR seems to offer, by making is
possible to falsify perfectly a set of logs it becomes impossible to say
that any log is accurate. You can converse and the text you produce is as
false as it is true. The real life problem isn't with your own logs however,
it the ones that our kind governments (order company's or organisations to)
keep.

Repudiation is a word I've never heard of and after slight research it seems
something obvious without reason for discussing it. Simply whether one can
state he didn't do it, when something is "signed" (that's usual term for it)
it is combined with a key supposedly known only to it's "owner",
the likelihood of someone else figuring out what the key was or finding the
key otherwise should be so low that it can be called "certain". At least for
a certain amount of time that suffices for the data at hand, in a war for
example a 90 year decode time[1] is very acceptable and in a financial
transaction valuing 40 dollars 2k worth of electricity isn't worth it[2].
What logically follows from those facts is that "non-repudiation" is present
for a certain amount of time[3] depending on the value of that which is to
be (not) repudiated, no one needs to state otherwise and the result is quite
obvious.

Disclaimer: Before this conversation I've never heard of OTR or repudiation.

Best regards,
Lewis Andre de la Porte

[1] including increasing proccessing power
[2] in a crypto-financial system one has to prove his/her identity with key
(usually) anyone who can provide the key is that person, and can therefor
get his/her money. Faking a key costs processing power which costs regular
power which, lucky for our sanity, still costs wealth to produce. Simply
outweighing the gains and the costs should render the theft "impossible"
[3] this is another example where money can translate to time can translate
to money.