J. Neil Schulman On I can't take it anymore ....

Steve Schear schear at lvcm.com
Wed Sep 12 22:28:24 PDT 2001

"J. Neil Schulman" <jneil at mediaone.net> wrote:
<snip>
>If you disarm the people -- if you make them give up their guns when
>they get on a plane, go into a post office, get taken out to the ball
>game -- then there will never be enough police officers to go around
>when the bad guys decide to strike, without warning, at a time and place
>of their own choosing.
>
>The jetliners that took down the World Trade Center, a city of 50,000
>daytime inhabitants, and that exploded into the very military
>headquarters of the world's only remaining superpower, were taken over
>by a few thugs with boxcutters.
>
>If the airline pilots had guns this couldn't have happened.
>
>If the flight attendants had guns this couldn't have happened.
>
>If local police officers who fly were allowed to carry their guns with
>them, warned only to switch to frangible ammunition, this couldn't have
>happened.

But they are.  On U.S. domestic flights they have merely to present
themselves and acceptable credentials (which BTW the airline personnel are
poorly trained to authenticate) and state in a form that they are traveling
for LE purposes.  There are other formalities that are followed, but
overall they are not restricted from carrying.

steve