Speaking of free speech... (fwd)

Jim Choate ravage at ssz.com
Thu Mar 29 08:14:39 PST 2001

One reason they may not want to rule is they realize the consequences. And
by letting it die a quite death they lose nothing and hold future options
open. This of course would be predicated upon the vast majority of the SC
wanting to rule in favor of IR searches but recognizing there isn't a
realistic constitutional argument to support such action.

It would effectively squash the current action and give them about 2 years
of breathing room. While this scenario is not probable it is clearly not
completely unlikely either.

In addition it raises the interesting question of what would say a 2 year
delay gain? A very different bench? How many are likely to retire in the
next two years?

         If the law is based on precedence, why is the Constitution
         not the final precedence since it's the primary authority?

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      ravage at ssz.com