[dvdvol] cd labeling

Greg Newby gbnewby at pglaf.org
Sat Jun 4 19:16:49 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:39:00PM -0500, Aaron Cannon wrote:
> A label, if done correctly, shouldn't interfere with the disc.  But for the
> current giveaway, a stamp or handwriting should be just fine.
>
> The process of getting discs accepted into a library seems to involve a bit
> more than just dropping them off, unless the library is willing to invest a
> bit of time.  There's a good document on this topic at
> http://www.affs.org.uk/~mjr/libraries/fosslib-howto.html
>
> Anyway, this is not a pressing issue, as we still need to get the new DVD
> made.  I just thought I'd put it out there for discussion.
>
> Sincerely
> Aaron Cannon

Four news items, partially related to my trying to get a new
updated DVD image ready for handouts when Michael visits
me in Alaska (June 21-23):

1. I now have a CD label design, and will get it circulating soon.

2. There is also a program to build your own ISO image that
will be available to any user.  It's pretty fancy.  This is
for folks who download their own CD/DVD.

3. I will be buying at least a couple of thousand copies of this
DVD, so you can determine whether we should go ahead with
more.

4. I'm working with the Alaska Library Association (AKLA) to
get a DVD sent to every single library in Alaska -- about
800.  Many of these are school libraries with collections of
at most a couple of thousand books.  Many schools don't even
have a library (or a librarian), but all have computers
and are on the Internet.

The DVD image has something over 4400 eBooks, including the full
contents of the Best Of CD (but with updated content) and a large
number of HTML eBooks, unzipped.  So, rather than maximizing the
number of titles, this one includes some of our most polished
content.

Other people are, as always, welcome to make their own master
DVD ISO.  At some point, I hope we have a whole collection of
them!

Anyway, to the matter at hand: I don't mind paying for labels,
especially for special purposes.  But as Aaron pointed out,
the extra cost & effort of labels might mean it's most cost
effective to simply buy ready-made DVDs.
  -- Greg