[DFDL-WG] Reminder: Agenda topics for Thursday May 8 DFDL call

Mike Beckerle mbeckerle at apache.org
Mon May 6 14:32:23 PDT 2024

I believe the requested agenda topic for the May 8 call was discussion of
DFDL 2.0 and/or DFDL 1.1?

Please circulate emails about topics in that area you'd like to discuss on
the call, or generally.

There is a problem called the "second system effect" I think which is when
version 2.0 never happens because the team wants to fix every single thing
wrong with version 1.0, and perfectionism sets in.

We want to avoid that.

There is also a role for what I would call "standard profiles" which are
knobs to turn to tell a DFDL processor that you want to limit your DFDL
usage so that your schemas will have certain standard behaviours.

An example is to disallow elements to be distinguished only by namespace,
so that the DFDL schema can be used to convert data to/from JSON or other
data frameworks where elements have only names, and there is no notion of
namespaces for names. We've run into this in JSON and a major integration
of Daffodil with Apache Drill. DFDL users would benefit from a way to say
"keep me out of namespace troubles" like that.

Mike Beckerle
Apache Daffodil PMC | daffodil.apache.org
OGF DFDL Workgroup Co-Chair | www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/standards/dfdl/dfdl
Owl Cyber Defense | www.owlcyberdefense.com