Sun Apr 21 18:14:53 PDT 2024

> > > why do you think it is that, although clouds are made of water hanging
> > > from particles of dirt, they stay up in the sky rather than falling
> > > down to the ground?
> >
> > https://www.google.com/search?q=why+don%27t+clouds+fall
> >
> > > Even though a cloud weighs tons, it doesn't fall on you because the
> > > rising air responsible for its formation keeps the cloud floating in the air.
> > > The air below the cloud is denser than the cloud, thus the cloud floats
> > > on top of the denser air nearer the land surface.
> > a featured snippet by google search from
> > https://www.usgs.gov/media/images/a-cloud-can-weigh-much-airplane-why-doesnt-it-fall#:~:text=Even%20though%20a%20cloud%20weighs,air%20nearer%20the%20land%20surface.
> >
> > uhhh so one thing I'm thinking, is that if clouds weigh tons they must
> > be very spread out, very opposite-of-dense, so as to be lighter than
> > the air below them.
> >
> > so uhhh why are there huge ris
> > 15/24
>
> 16/24
>
> ok i think i figured it
>
> air, in general, has areas that float up high
> clouds happen to be in those areas, and are spread thinly enough that
> they don't increase the mass of the areas so much that they no longer
> float up high
>
> that is, the amount a cloud weight per cubic volume is less than the
> variation of density there is of air in the atmosphere.
>
> tada!

here's another way of looking at it:
air becomes lighter as you go up higher, less dense.
so, when there is dust and water vapor up high that is moving with
that air, it doesn't fall because the air below is denser (since it is
lower altitude) and can support it (and it already spread thin from
being suspended in a fluid)