BleepingComputer: Google Chrome's new "IP Protection" will hide users' IP addresses

Mon Oct 23 06:04:12 PDT 2023

> 1 - git repository: http://github.com/GoogleChrome/ip-protection

# IP Protection (formerly known as Gnatcatcher)

## Introduction

As browser vendors make efforts to provide their users with additional
privacy, the user’s IP address continues to make it feasible to
associate users’ activities across origins that otherwise wouldn’t be
possible. This information can be combined over time to create a
unique, persistent user profile and track a user’s activity across the
web, which represents a threat to their privacy. Moreover, unlike with
third-party cookies, there is no straightforward way for users to opt
out of this kind of covert tracking.

In addition to being used as a possible tracking vector, IP addresses
have been and will continue to be instrumental in routing traffic,
preventing fraud and abuse, and performing other important functions
for network operators and domains.

Therefore, any IP address privacy solution must account for both user
privacy and the safety and functionality of the web. This proposal
initially focuses on efforts where IP addresses are most likely to be
used as a vector for tracking in a third-party context.

IP Protection will evolve and broaden over time in conjunction with
ecosystem changes to continue to protect users’ privacy from
cross-site tracking.

## Cross-site tracking and the role of IP addresses
There are various definitions for “tracking” used in the web
ecosystem. We will initially use Mozilla’s definition for cross-site
tracking as  it has served as an inspiration for other browser
policies.

Mozilla defines
[tracking](https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Anti_tracking_policy#Tracking_Definition)
as “...the collection of data regarding a particular user's activity
across multiple websites or applications (i.e., first parties) that
aren’t owned by the data collector, and the retention, use, or sharing
of data derived from that activity with parties other than the first
party on which it was collected.”

Browsers are moving against cross-site tracking. For Chrome, this
[includes phasing out third-party cookies and limiting
fingerprinting](https://privacysandbox.com/open-web/), while ensuring
the web stays healthy and vibrant. One way to limit fingerprinting is
by limiting sources of identifiable information such as IP addresses.

An IP address is an effective cross-site identifier as it is highly
unique, relatively stable, cheap to collect and the applications of IP
addresses by websites are not detectable by the browser. Therefore
limiting access to IP addresses is important to prevent other methods
of cross-site tracking beyond third-party cookies.

Based on how impactful IP addresses are for tracking, it would make
sense to first focus on third parties identified as potentially using
IP addresses for web-wide cross-site tracking. We’ll explore
leveraging methods similar to other browsers and existing lists that
identify these third parties.

Chrome’s evolved focus on third-party tracking has emerged from
feedback received on the Gnatcatcher proposal. Chrome wants to focus
on behaviors that are most likely to be using IP for tracking users
across sites in ways that might not align with user expectations of
privacy. Chrome will work with the ecosystem to help preserve privacy
while not breaking key uses on the web.

## Proposal
Chrome is reintroducing a proposal to protect users against cross-site
tracking via IP addresses. This proposal is a privacy proxy that
anonymizes IP addresses for qualifying traffic as described above.

**Goals**

- To improve user privacy by protecting users’ IP addresses from being
used as a tracking vector.
- To minimize disruption to the normal operations of servers,
including the use of IP addresses for anti-abuse by first party sites,
until there are alternative mechanisms in place.

### Privacy Proxy

#### Core requirements

- the destination origin doesn’t see the client’s original IP address
- the proxy and network intermediaries are not privy to the contents
of the traffic.

To meet these requirements, this proposal prioritizes proxying
eligible third-party traffic through the Privacy Proxy.

This will use CONNECT and CONNECT-UDP (with MASQUE), to forward
traffic. There is an end-to-end encrypted tunnel via TLS, from Chrome
to the destination server.

We are considering using 2 hops for improved privacy. A second proxy
would be run by an external CDN, while Google runs the first hop. This
ensures that neither proxy can see both the client IP address and the
destination. CONNECT & CONNECT-UDP support chaining of proxies.

#### Anti-abuse

There are several anti-abuse concerns for proxied third party traffic:

- defensibility of the proxy, a compromised proxy may be used to deploy attacks
- disruption of existing DoS defenses
- disruption of existing defenses for fraud and invalid traffic detection

To limit abuse of the proxy, we are considering the following
non-exhaustive set of anti-abuse protections:

- user authenticates to the proxy
  - this will require a user account
  - auth tokens will be issued and redeemed at the proxy
- proxy shouldn’t be able to correlate traffic to user account
  - blinded signatures will be used
- limit abuse with harvesting of auth tokens
  - rate limit tokens per account
  - token expiry

In addition to preventative measures, we are also looking for
opportunities to allow websites to report DoS and other abuse.
Additionally, we are actively exploring new anti-abuse defenses to
enable third party services to prevent abuse and fraud.

#### GeoIP

IP-based geolocation is used by a swath of services within proxied
third party traffic to comply with local laws & regulation and serve
content that is relevant to users, such as: content localization (e.g.
language), local cache assignment, and geo targeting for ads.
To support these needs, the Privacy Proxy will assign IP addresses
that represent the user’s coarse location, including country.

### Longer term
Long term solutions will evolve and will be shaped in conjunction with
the ecosystem.
We will collaborate with ISPs, CDNs, third parties, and destination
sites towards the end-state of privacy proxies for the web. For
instance, ISPs and CDNs are well suited to operate privacy proxies.

As IP Protection evolves, we believe policy will have a part in the
overall solution to address circumvention by websites. When needed,
we'll develop the policy and seek input from the ecosystem. Our intent
for a policy within the proposal will be to encourage web services to
be accountable for the usage and sharing of client IP addresses given
the sensitivity of IP as an identifying data point. By creating
transparency around the use of IP addresses, we hope to promote
industry accountability regarding how IP addresses are accessed and
used in the web ecosystem.

We welcome feedback on this proposal, especially with regard to some
of the open questions we are considering.