[ot] Karlbook [coercion]: Opening Our Minds by Jon Atack

Thu Nov 2 08:13:25 PDT 2023

# 3

## belonging

"In charge of who is there in charge of me?" ~ Jon Anderson, Yes,
_Close to the Edge_

There are two types of authoritarians: those who lead and those who
follow. Followers believe blindly in the leader's right to command,
and the leaders believe blindly in the same right. Authoritarian
groups are exclusive: the groups must come before everything else, so
the member must identify fervently with the group and its ideas. There
are many ways to forge and strengthen attachment to an authoritarian
group or individual. In a live-in group, members are quickly drawn
into 24/7 membership. Isolation from the outside world may be part of
the strategy, but there will be enough activities to pack the day, and
usually, not enough sleep to ever properly wake up. There can be
restrictions on diet -- usually the cheapest food possible, so often a
high-sugar, high-carbohydrate diet, which can add to the
lightheadedness of sleep deprivation.

Group activities, including dancing, singing, or reciting dogma all
add to a natural sense of cohesion. Everything that is different to
the surrounding society -- language, dress, diet, dogma -- can add to
the sense of exclusiveness and amplify alienation from that society.
Add to this the promise that the secrets of the universe, eternal
life, or liberation from tyranny are just a few steps away, and you
have a potent mix.

Some groups differentiate between inner and outer members (called
"staff" and "public" in Scientology). As a "public" Scientologist, I
was subjected to none of the trauma and humiliation of daily life
suffered by "staff", who kept their awful living conditions secret
from the "public".

Staff members may survive on the bare minimum of sleep and nourishment
while working impossible hours; "public" members are allowed to sleep
and eat properly (even encouraged to do so in Scientology). The core
inner members, on the other hand, while often living in drastically
worse living conditions, are led to believe that they are superior not
only to the world at large, but also to the "public" of the group.
This elitism is a vital aspect of membership. In private, staff
Scientologists will belittle the celebrities they so eagerly recruit.
Out of their earshot, celebrities are dismissed as "dilettantes" --
mere amateurs.

## a brief history of submission

The word "mystery" originated in the ancient world, where followers
went through a series of secret initiations, culminating in a pretend
death and resurrection, which led them to fervently believe that they
would survive physical death. Initiates were called _mystes_ and they
existed at Eleusis in Greece almost 4,000 years ago.[10]

Groups that promise secret knowledge are broadly called "gnostic". At
the beginning of the Christian era, the most popular gnostic or
mystery cult was that of Mithras, a demi-god who offered resurrection
and eternal life to his followers.[11]

Early Christian Gnostic sects developed around similar practices, and
called themselves the "_electoi_" or "elect". Some were convinced that
by going through the seven gates of the planetary bodies after death
and reciting the right passwords, heaven would be theirs for the
taking.[12] Modern practices that rely on a series of steps, grades or
initiations -- such as the Rosicrucians, |Freemasons as well as
Scientology and NXIVM -- are "neo-gnostic".

People take pride in the trappings of office: the uniforms and badges,
the medals and titles. We love to feel superior, and all too readily
accept a place in a hierarchy of membership.

Mormons pledge complete allegiance to their group, through their
"Temple Endowments." Freemasons and Rosicrucians function as secret
societies, and often form networks in public office.

In the UK, there are many Freemasons in the police and the judiciary.
They keep their membership secret and, in absolute contradiction of
public policy, prefer their co-cultists over others. A voluntary
register for public officials to declare membership of the Freemasons
was boycotted by the UK police in 2001.[13] A friend of mine who had
been a policeman for 17 years told me that he had always been passed
over for promotion, because he refused to join the Freemasons.

Secret societies, "old boy networks" and other cultic forms are
central rather than peripheral in our world. In 2002, a Metropolitan
Police report cautioned that organized crime had infiltrated these
very networks through the Freemasons.[14] In 2018, MP Sarah Wollaston
renewed calls for a register, specifically for MPs and journalists who
belong to Masonic lodges. Her plea failed.[15]

By the time I left Scientology, I was at the end of the 25th of the
then 27 available levels. The deference of other members towards me
was part and parcel of the experience. They believed that I could read
minds, see into the future, and move independently of my body. It is
shocking to discover the amount of damage concealed by the many people
who completed these levels before leaving the group -- because we were
told that our "first duty" was to protect the reputation of
Scientology.[16] Despite James Randi's offer of a million dollars for
proof, no Scientologist ever demonstrated the supposed paranormal
abilities we were promised we would attain.

Scientology calls those who give money "Patrons", and various titles
are offered according to the amount "donated" -- so, for instance,
Patrons Meritorious have given $250,000. In return, their names are
published in magazines and inscribed on plaques.

The sort of elitism encourages an "us versus them" mentality, as well
as simple black-or-white thinking. The group is good and right; so,
any critic is bad and wrong. Members of the group are the _elect_;
they will become powerful and prosperous, irresistible to the opposite
sex, achieve enlightenment or enter the kingdom of heaven -- unless
(and until) they realize that the emperor wears not a single stitch of
clothing.

## reinforcement

Membership must be reinforced, so that recruits feel they belong.
Status is important, but there will also be a resolute conviction that
the group is right and that doubt is wrong. The group's beliefs are
touted as scientifically true and/or spiritually correct. This leads
to the strange situation where believers will put aside their own
values in favor of the group's dogma, which is the test of a true
believer. Psychiatrist Robert Jay Lifton called this "ideology over
experience" or "doctrine over person".[17] A famous heart surgeon in
the notorious Japanese group Aum Shinrikyo murdered patients at the
behest of his leader, in spite of the Hippocratic Oath's provision to
do no harm[18]

A fanatic will believe that the murder of innocents is vital to bring
about the Caliphate or the End Days, perhaps putting aside years of
benevolent behavior to follow this ruthless path. If the leader says
that salt is sweet, the follower may well taste that sweetness, just
as those hypnotized will cheerfully eat an onion as if it were an
apple -- or, as followers of Lesego Daniel testify, believe that
gasoline tastes like pineapple juice.[19]

Years after leaving an authoritarian group, members often still cling
to the teachings or the leader. They have learned to internally
reinforce the state induced by their fervor. The contradictions in
their beliefs can be startling.

Ma Anand Sheela spent 39 months in prison. In her autobiography, she
says that all of her wrongdoing was at the behest of Rajneesh (aka
Bhagwan or Osho the Buddha) and that she was scapegoated by him. She
speaks at length about his vindictive, deceitful behavior, and says
that he took a massive amount of diazepam or valium (some 240mg) along
with two sessions a day -- each two hours long -- sniffing laughing
gas (nitrous oxide), yet, in the same autobiography, she says, "He is
my eternal lover" and "This love is still there. It is forever ... I
am proud and grateful to be part of this plan. I will not exchange
this love for anything in the world..."[20]

Reinforcement is also behavioral. Each group has its own variations.
Habits of dress, of speech, responses and rituals are all readily
adopted. Radical Islamists often adopt what they believe to be
traditional dress, with men growing beards and women covering thir
hair, or even their faces. Scientologists make locked-on eye contact
-- which can keep them in an altered state of consciousness, while
asserting predatory dominance.

There will be thought-stopping rituals -- Krishnas chant the Hare
Krishna mantra if they feel challenged. Slogans are implanted to keep
thought at bay. Phobias are induced, so that opponents are viewed as
if in the grip of Satan and unworthy of attention. Scientologists,
followers of NXIVM and Jehovah's Witnesses are urged to cease any
communication with critics -- Suppressive Persons or agents of the
devil -- and such "shunning" is commonplace in authoritarian groups:
indeed, it is a defining factor when assessing the danger of a group.
Ostracism is a benchmark of authoritarianism.

## hard selling

Once members have committed to a group, the honeymoon period is over,
and ruthless techniques are often used to increase that commitment.
Hard selling is used shamelessly in Scientology. Talking about the
extremely expensive exorcisms that constitute the secret "upper
levels" of Scientology, leader Ron Hubbard said, "Advanced Courses are
the most valuable service on the planet. Life insurance, houses, cars,
stocks, bonds, college savings, all are transitory and impermanent ...
Advanced Courses ... last forever and give immortality. There is
nothing to compare with Advanced Courses. They are infinitely valuable
and transcend time itself."

It costds at least a quarter of a million dollars to complete
Scientology's "Bridge to Total Freedom."

[This photo is embedded here:
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/author-l-ron-hubbard-poses-for-a-portrait-in-a-room-with-a-news-photo/74251355
]
Hubbard aged beyond his 62 years, in hiding, 1973

In a dispatch called _What is Life Worth? - The Importance of Hard
Sell_, Hubbard said, "HARD SELL is ... a MUST in dissemination and
selling of services and materials." He also said, "You tell him that
he is going to sign up right now and he is going to take it right now
... One does not describe something, one commands something. You will
find that a lot of people are in a more or less hypnotic daze ... and
they respond to direct commands in literature and ads. Hard Sell means
insistence that people buy." Further, "You have to be willing to
invade privacy, very definitely ... [recruits] don't have any rights!"

Scientology "registrars" -- or salespeople -- are trained using
hard-sell expert Les Dane's book _Big League Sales Closing
Techniques_. Sales interviews can last whole days. I'm happy to report
that towards the end of my involvement with Scientology, I refused to
accept a money-lender's check, even after a 13-hour sales interview.
The demanded interest rate was 30%. Many others have not been so
lucky, and have lost everything they owned, simply to pay for
"advanced courses." Inheritances are quickly hoovered into the group's
bank accounts. Former members can be saddled with debt for the rest of
their lives.

Many words are used to describe authoritarian groups. In the last few
decades an ancient Roman term has gained a new, negative meaning.
Let's look at the word "cult".

### recommended reading:

Jon Atack, _Let's Sell These People a Piece of Blue Sky_