[pain] Blackhat History: BOFH

Undiscussed Horrific Abuse, One Victim of Many gmkarl at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 03:49:26 PDT 2022

I'm translating as I read.

> So I'm in my office again, reconfiguring the router when the phone rings.
> Somehow I knew this was going to happen.

Translation: I'm frustrated and exhasperated. I've gotten a lot of
phone calls before.

> I'm obviously going to have to change my number (and Operator) YET AGAIN.

Translation: I need space, predictability, and peace very badly, and
this is very poignant when I get these phone calls.

> I pick it up.

> "Start talking."

"Hey, I appreciate that you've taken the effort to contact me. I'm
very busy right now and that's very pressing for me. What's up?"

> "Is this the network engineer?"

> Sigh.

> "Yes it is," I say, resigned to my fate.

"Honestly, I feel some pain when you ask that. There are very few
people with my skillsets, so I get a lot of requests for work. I can
tell you're not sure whether this is my number or not, and I question
if I'm really the most effective person for you talk to in that
situation."