Re: Re: Quantum Computing Threatens Everything — Could it be Worse Than the Apocalypse?

jim bell jdb10987 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 31 10:47:52 PST 2022

  On Mon, Jan 31, 2022 at 8:13 AM, Stefan Claas<stefan at ctemplar.com> wrote:
--------- Original Message ----------
On Sun, January 30, 2022 at 8:15 PM,  grarpamp at gmail.com wrote:
On 1/30/22, jim bell  wrote:
> Quantum Computing Threatens Everything — Could it be Worse Than the
> Apocalypse?
>
>> https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/404091
>
>> Jim Bell's comment:
>>  Headline sounds overblown, but...

>What are peoples current estimated years for when QC will...
a) Break some of today's modern yet non-PQC cryptosystems?

I seem to recall that cryptosystems based on multi-dimensional lattices are thought to be quantum-resistant.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lattice-based_cryptography?wprov=sfla1

>From that:
"Lattice-based cryptography is the generic term for constructions of cryptographic primitives that involve lattices, either in the construction itself or in the security proof. Lattice-based constructions are currently important candidates for post-quantum cryptography. Unlike more widely used and known public-key schemes such as the RSA, Diffie-Hellman or elliptic-curve cryptosystems, which could, theoretically, be easily attacked by a quantum computer, some lattice-based constructions appear to be resistant to attack by both classical and quantum computers. Furthermore, many lattice-based constructions are considered to be secure under the assumption that certain well-studied computational lattice problems cannot be solved efficiently."(End of quote)
An RSA-type system depends on the difficulty of factoring a huge composite number, but I think that involves only one 'degree of freedom'.   That is, as your guess for one factor goes up, the other goes down.
However, finding distances in a large-dimensional lattice might involve as many degrees of freedom as dimensions, or maybe (dimensions minus 1).  Perhaps this is what would defeat quantum calculations.