How end-to-end encrypted platforms handle content moderation & government requests.

professor rat pro2rat at yahoo.com.au
Thu Sep 9 14:50:18 PDT 2021

jonathanmayer - 6h
This @propublica
article on WhatsApp is poorly framed, as many have noted. I’d like to highlight several constructive takeaways, because WhatsApp is a possible model for how end-to-end encrypted platforms handle content moderation and government requests.
Quote Tweet
Yael Grauer
@yaelwrites· Sep 8
I'm a _huge_ ProPublica supporter, and this piece has some good information on PR/TT and difficulties of moderating content at scale, but it's important to point out that abuse report mechanisms are not backdoors and don't break encryption.

https://propublica.org/article/how-facebook-undermines-privacy-protections-for-its-2-billion-whatsapp-users