[liberationtech] Internet transition to private industry

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 01:31:25 PDT 2019

> I'm not seeing the move of the net to "private" as much as I am seeing
> the net moving into the hands of quasi national entities, such as ICANN,
> that have almost national powers

ICANN and all proposals otherwise, are "legally" incorporated
in specific political jurisdictions, thus under full control of
government political whims. Same as if handed over to the UN.

> but no foundation in territory (thus
> outside of the Peace of Westphalia formulation) or of any form of "we
> the people" creative act by biological humans.

Such whims of power generally do not care too much
about biological humans, to wit power's wars killing
and chattel keeping, of same. And more.

As someone noted earlier, ICANN and other bodies
like it were doomed when they started in the copyright,
identity, censorship, and other regulatory games.

Instead of sticking solely to the business of moving
packets agnostically, and refusing all other roles.

> My sense is this
> fragmentation of plenary authority absent strong constitutional
> constraints or public accountability is
> is going to become one of the great problems

You all gave up the promise and hope of the internet the moment you
let governments blanket unwarranted mass spy all over it, when you let
corporations cave to political censor pressure, when you let govcorp
conspire making "laws" to prevent and $fee you from routing around
all their bullshit in truly private neighbor-to-neighbor-multihomed
house-to-house biz-to-biz peer-to-peer land_parcel-to-land_parcel
guerrilla mesh networks around the world. By continuing to be
babies handing off your proper and rightful independant P2P
responsibilities as such to govcorps by paying
$75 internet + $50 phone + $nn in taxes to them, instead
of doing it yourselves in your localities P2P linked
to other locales for less. For letting them all steal from you
right under your eyes with your consent for decades...
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2019/09/sprint-took-fcc-cash-for-serving-885000-people-it-wasnt-actually-serving/

The problem is you, and yours alone.

> As for the move of the net towards "private" we have to realize that
> "private" is really a kind of dynamic, and ever changing balance over
> who has the power

What you first have to realize is that you dumbshits gave the power up.
Oops. Then you become actually free to think up some new ways to
get things done without resorting to that.

> There is always a public overlay to nominally private things.

What a load of statist sheep apologist bullshit that is.
And note the creeping definition weasel words "nominally private".

That's why the internet is a loss, all those sorts of
self-subjugative and deprecating ideas right there.

Did you know there are companies racing to create
brain scanners so that your once "nominally private"
thoughts become signals on forced polygraph exams?
Which imples you should also be aware of...

https://antipolygraph.org/

> even private land can be taxed

What a load of statist sheep apologist bullshit that is.
Ever think of personally giving to local charity instead?
Programming that into kids in schools as the freedom
preserving way to do things instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9yX248DC3k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0-cgs51zEA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6C1M_7BzZ0
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=taxation+is+theft

See also...
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks".

> the criminal laws of the land still apply to acts performed on that land.

Look at all the censorship... you're going to love it when they roll out
and enforce use of the Great TLS Terminator MITM Spy Tool everywhere.
And come to take "your" banned books from you on "your" land.
And slap a muzzle on you on their way out because you don't have
freedom of speech or free speech anymore on the internet either.

You got exactly what you whined, cried, and complained for.

> That balance will forever be shifting back and forth,
> based on the competition among political

That's because you keep letting them distract and
play you out of your rights with their game.
Hook line sinker.

> And because a network is a synergy of its pieces there is "the curse of
> the installed base" that will act as an anchor.

They're your neighbors, don't curse, go say hi to them, advance them
up out of the water so you both can travel freely. Because you gave
that away too...

https://papersplease.org/

> So even a private internet (or as I see it, a world in which there will
> be multiple internets connected by highly policed bridges) will be
> constrained by a web of legal, financial, and technical obligations and
> duties.

Why is those balkan bridges, those mired restraints existing?
Oh, right, because you called for and let them happen.

> (I wrote a somewhat long blog entry about how I see the net fragmenting
> here: https://www.cavebear.com/cavebear-blog/internet_quo_vadis/ )
>
> Personally I believe that there must be some realm in which people must
> be free to try out new ideas and take risks.

Right, nothing limiting you there but what you foolishly put and
keep in place over you hindering your freedom.

> But we have to be careful not to sweep unknowing and
> non-consenting members of the public into new private innovations.

If people weren't lying about that they would deprecate to and
educate the "public" to make their own choices and things.
Government and profit corporations are hardly in the business
of doing that, it's a conflict of interest, so they lie.

And you'll have to do it yourself without them.

> I am giving a talk in late October on the topic of the responsibilities
> of private network operators as the internet moves into a world in which
> users believe, rightly or wrongly, that it is safe for them to depend on
> the proper operation of the net in matters of safety, finance, and
> health - in other words, as people come to view the internet as a
> lifeline grade utility.

Good, maybe then they will rise up and demand, better yet
deploy for themselves, the vision of a true end-to-end
uncensored unsurveilled fully encrypted internet.

> This ought to create an image in one's mind of an internet, perhaps
> privately owned (at least in pieces) but owned in the same way as our
> today's public utilities for electricity, gas, and (in the past) "the
> telephone company".

"Public utilities" aka "Government utilities" are at the whim of
shifting govenment political games. History has already shown
them unsuitable owners or overseers of country or local internets.

The amount of people now foolishly crying for "Municipal" broadband
is ridiculous. Go build your own distributed version
within your locales. It's not hard or expensive.

(Do not ever for one second think the GFW or Social Score will
not come to you, it already has, and it's well documented
in the news of your respective countries. You cannot even
use SneakerNet to safely move your packets across "borders"
anymore without risk of confiscation and imprisonment. Nor
can you encrypt your stuff inside your own countries either because
they'll beat you with a wrench in contempt prison for that too.)

And both Govt and "private profit companies" are generally
against you to the point of making it really hard to break
free from whatever [internet] shit they're doing to you.

(Did you read the news that all countries are now starting up
their own Internet Military War Departments, complete
with Secret Attack Operations, Satellite Destruction, Censors,
National Peering Kill Switches, etc. And you think
those will not spark next big physical wars? Did you
agree to that?)

Stop crying for them to come and save you.
Save yourself, do it yourself, and keep it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngpsJKQR_ZE

> And also wrapped in elevated standards of care
> (i.e. requiring that one operate their private bailiwick with higher
> than the present levels of care in order to avoid liability on the
> grounds of negligence.)

Technology now exists to build distributed ownership,
parcel based, end-to-end internet where drop in commodity
opensource routing nodes conform to a global mesh spec
and route around such "poor standards" "negligience"
"censorship" "control".

Did you know that new technology exists that lets you
route your private money packets around such bullshit too?
Even over some encrypted network overlays too...

https://xmr.to/
https://z.cash/
https://bitcoin.com/ + privacy tools
https://blocknet.co/block-dx/
https://torproject.org/
Etc... and that's only the first generation of them...

You all keep trying to set up "governance" and "regulation" for the Internet.
All those legacy governmental models, over and over again,
which aren't really that great and which history shows are
doomed to fail. So try something completely different
and novel for once... don't setup anything, just say no.
Given you've never tried before, you're odds of success are
at least 50%, which is monumentally better chance than
everything else you've tried and failed at before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FGVKcsdafU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xau5lPZzztc
https://freekeene.com/files/marketforliberty.pdf
https://www.ucg.org/the-good-news/the-life-cycles-of-empires-lessons-for-america-today