[Rotor-general] Status

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 11:02:22 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 7:02 PM, Joshua <joshua2014 at protonmail.ch> wrote:
> These
> types of vulnerabilities show why diversity is needed in the anonymous
> networking ecosystem.

Exactly. So long as on balance your network/app does not present a
weaker position overall... different sets and classes of bugs, threat / usage
models, and attack surfaces can be appreciated as not a bad thing in
that regard. Popularity, marketing / share, bandwagon, and even high
quality shouldn't cause people to forget the basics of not all in one basket.

Now and then I post on diversity (see pp3)...
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2016-August/010082.html
And occaisionally mention, inexhaustively as time permits, some
examples (in this thread, some tor compatibles)...
https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2016-August/010112.html
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/ListOfTorImplementations

Anonymous overlay networks are still a new science and greenfield with
much research to be done and many oppurtunities to both start new
projects and see deprecated ones pass to history.

Ten years out, I doubt the prevailing network[s] and tech[s] will directly
inherit the torspec of today, but rather be an import of any useful ideas
from many network projects into a new one.