Pride and Legacy Thinking is a Tired Old Bitch

grarpamp grarpamp@gmail.com
Sat Nov 14 23:40:36 PST 2015

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 5:17 AM, oshwm <oshwm@openmailbox.org> wrote:
> Ok, how about this then...
>
> Your idea on your blog is pretty cool but I think there is an even
> simpler way to handle this.
>
> When you sign up for a new mail account, the mail provider...

... is still the weakest link. Anyone can design a scheme where
users can turn the net black with encrypted email bodies.
However these days, and really since day one, it has been known
that email bodies are only half the problem in the full threat model.
The other half is metadata. And now with them pushing code to
you, it's become even worse.

So please stop talking about what you're going to bolt on to fix
traditional centralised email services. They cannot be fixed, ever.

And start talking about what you're going to build to replace them.
Or testing and contributing to development of proposed replacements.

Pride of owning yet another commercial central service is a tired old bitch.
Pride of dropping a true anonymous encrypted p2p protocol
that scales and reaches adoption... now that's priceless.
Regarding some of the elements in the latter, Bram's Bittorrent made it,
Satoshi's Bitcoin is doing quite well, as are things like I2P, many to list.
You could be next with more...