RentaCops in Public Spaces?

Tyler Durden camera_lumina at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:37:38 PST 2006

Hey...

Over West Street by the former World Trade Center site there are two
pedestrian footbridges.

Something's been pissing me off a bit: Each of those bridges (which run over
West Street--public property) are staffed by non-Cops with gray jackets that
say "SECURITY". periodically, if someone goes the wrong way up an escalator
or a tourist crosses a line to get a better photo, these rentaCops will
whistle or shout them out of wherever they are.

Is this legal? Are we really allowing private rentacops to take police
functions on public property?

-TD