Tor client over Java LINUX

Riad S. Wahby rsw at jfet.org
Mon Dec 12 09:12:23 PST 2005

Tyler Durden <camera_lumina at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I recently read that a simple LINUX OS has been written in java.

Have a reference handy?  I'm just curious to see where they're going
with this.

I suppose all you'd really need is a linux kernel that'll run on the
JVM, which shouldn't be too hard to do.

> How hard would it be (and would it be meaningful) to write (or modify) a
> Tor client that could sit on top of a Java LINUX?

I don't see the benefit of adding another layer on top of the JVM.  Tor
implemented in Java should be no more or less vulnerable to attacks from
the host machine than Tor talking with a Linux kernel running on the
JVM.  Moreover, you don't actually realize a benefit in portability by
adding the Linux-on-JVM abstraction to the soup.

Admittedly, you might save some development time by just running the
extant Tor client on a Linux virtual machine, but laziness isn't really
an excuse for doing something wrong, IMHO.

--
Riad S. Wahby
rsw at jfet.org