[p2p-hackers] p2p in some place or other

Serguei Osokine Serguei.Osokine at efi.com
Mon Dec 12 11:24:33 PST 2005

On Monday, December 12, 2005 Nazareno Andrade wrote:
> A nice paper which you may find useful in this thread:
>
> High Availability, Scalable Storage, Dynamic Peer Networks: Pick
> Two

	Yes, it is an interesting approach - thank you! However, I'm
not sure if their results directly apply to P2P nets. They are talking
about six nines and replication factor of 20 to 80. They would likely
commit suicide if they would try to actually use Gnutella for rare
content. Any improvement would be nice - and forget about six nines.

	Also, despite introducing an interesting approach, this article
results are very hard to verify and to reproduce, which is absolutely
necessary if one would want to repeat their calculations with some
different assumptions about the system requirements.

	For example, much of their conclusions are based on the Gnutella
trace from April of 2003. Back then Gnutella was more than an order of
magnitude smaller, and it would be interesting to repeat the
calculations for today's situation. But the properties of this trace
are not explicitly listed anywhere, being hidden in multiple charts
and obscure statements like "only 5,000 of the 33,000 Gnutella hosts
were usually available" (This, by the way, is a total mystery to me,
since in April of 2003 Slyck's stats archive lists Gnutella at about
90,000 simultaneous nodes, so I have no idea where these 5,000 or
33,000 came from and what their meaning might have been.)

	To put it shortly, they have an interesting methodology, but
I do not trust any one of their conclusions, as far as the caching
in P2P file-sharing network is concerned. All their reasonings
should be repeated for the reliable network statistical data, and
with the set of requirements that reflects the needs of P2P users,
not the need for a six nines-reliable data storage. I suspect that
then the conclusions might prove to be a bit different.

	Best wishes -
	S.Osokine.
	12 Dec 2005.