Forensics on PDAs, notes from the field

Thomas Shaddack shaddack at ns.arachne.cz
Fri Aug 13 09:53:08 PDT 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004, Thomas Shaddack wrote:

> > The NIST CDROM also doesn't seem to include source code amongst its
> > sigs, so if you compile yourself, you may avoid their easy glance.
>
> A cool thing for this purpose could be a patch for gcc to produce unique
> code every time, perhaps using some of the polymorphic methods used by
> viruses.
>
> Just adding a chunk of data to make the hash unique will work against the
> current generation of the described tools. But we should plan to the
> future, what moves the adversary can do to counter this step.

We can do some in-depth changes of the executable, using the
"Steganography in executable files" approach described here (and on
Slashdot) recently. See eg. here:
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=102181&seqNum=6

The difference is we don't want to store anything to the file itself but
just to change its content without changing its function. We can use the
Hydan approach, using random data as what to store inside. Adding a
command
dd if=/dev/urandom count=<length/bs> | $HYDAN_STEGO $exefile
(where $HYDAN_STEGO is the steganography-adding program and $exefile is
the product of the compilation by an unmodified compiler)
into the makefile of the project could make the signatures unique for
every compilation. Same applies to installation scripts. As we shouldn't
trust our tools completely, a suite of suitable test vectors should be run
afterwards.

This can be used in combination with executable packers (eg. UPX), or some
wrappers for "copy-protection", which wrap and optionally encrypt the
executable and refuse to run it when eg. a dongle (which can contain the
key) is not present in the computer. It doesn't work for copyprotection
too well, but can slow down the adversary (or making some of their attack
methods impossible or impractical to use) in other scenarios. If the usage
scenario is plausible, the deployment of the protection technology may
"make sense", so its presence won't have to necessarily raise suspicion.
(We have to always keep in mind that the presence of any given technology
can be a factor on its own.)

The adversary then has to resort to heuristic analysis of the code
segments, or hashing data segments, or maintaining sets of characteristics
of the executables other than the hashes of the complete file (code/data
segments size, addresses of jumps...), or relying on the strings in the
file, or other options, all of them more difficult than hashing a file,
and potentially requiring better-trained forensics people...