bush wheels out the nukes

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Sat Oct 13 10:48:55 PDT 2001

On Friday, October 12, 2001, at 03:39 PM, cpaul wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 12:33:22 +1000
> Subject: B61-11
>
> THE US 'ANNOUNCED' THEIR INTENTION TO USE B61-11 BUNKER BUSTERS ON LAST
> NIGHT'S NEWS BULLETINS (BUT SOMEHOW FORGOT TO REFER TO THE FACT THAT
> THEY
> ARE CLASSIFIED AS TACTICAL NUCLEAR WEAPONS)
>

> 2:00 a.m. Oct. 8, 2001 PDT
> Following the Sept. 11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon,
> Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld was questioned on ABC television's
> This
> Week program about the possible use of tactical nuclear weapons in the
> expected conflicts to come.
> The most likely candidate is a tactical micro-nuke called the B61-11, an
> earth-penetrating nuclear device known as the "bunker buster."
>
> The B61-11 was designed to destroy underground military facilities such
> as
> command bunkers, ballistic missile silos and facilities for producing
> and
> storing weapons.

Whoever it is you are quoting (I can't tell), this is nonsense.

Bunker busters were used in the Gulf War...are you too young to recall
that?

None of these bunker busters were nukes. Some were already-developed
earth-burrowing warheads. Some were quickly-developed weapons based on
converting large gun barrels (used on ships) into bombs.

--Tim May
"Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and
strangled with her panty hose,  is somehow morally superior to a woman
explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound"