SBC says appointing Gore-for-pres chief as president "signals the importance of governmental matters to our company's ability to grow revenues"

Declan McCullagh declan at well.com
Mon Nov 26 07:24:38 PST 2001

11/19. SBC named William
Daley its new President. Daley will report directly to SBC's
Chairman and CEO Edward Whitacre.

SBC is the incumbent local exchange carrier in California,
Nevada, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois,
Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, and Indiana. SBC also holds a
majority equity interest in Cingular Wireless.

Daley was former President Bill Clinton's Secretary of
Commerce from January 1997 to June 2000. He resigned in June 2000 to become
Chairman of former Vice President Al Gore's
presidential campaign. Whitacre stated in a release that "His appointment
as president of SBC signals the
importance of governmental matters to our company's ability to
grow revenues ..."

release:
http://www.sbc.com/News_Center/1,3950,31,00.html?query=20011119-1