DoJ subpoena guidelines for journalists at show trials

Daniel J. Boone djb at gci.net
Mon Mar 12 10:27:47 PST 2001

Declan wrote:

> I believe that as a matter of principle, there is no difference between
> what I do in my articles and what John Young does on cryptome.org. Both
> of us *should* be treated by the law as professional journalists.

Hmm.  Oddly enough, I agree with that.  And yet, I doubt we are thinking of
the same thing.  Because I ALSO agree with the Usual Suspect in a way -- I
don't think professional journalists should be "treated by the law" any
differently than the rest of us mere sheeple.  If this makes any sense, I'm
not saying professional journalists shouldn't get special breaks, I'm saying
we should ALL get 'em and they shouldn't be special.  If freedom of the
press is to have any meaning, we can't have a gatekeeper empowered to say
"you are legitimate press and you, scoundrel, yes you, the guy with the
wireless Palm Pilot, you don't count!"

Of course, since we live in an age where the rule of law is a fast-fading
memory, it doesn't matter very much.  As Declan is discovering, the usual
protocols are not observed when the government is conducting show trials of
the randomly selected politically incorrect loser of the month.

-- Daniel

The Law Office of Daniel J. Boone
326 Fourth Avenue, Suite B
Juneau, Alaska  99801
(907) 723-9902
djb at gci.net
"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe when the
legislature is in session."  -- Judge Gideon Tucker