Anti-Carnivore FUD or Brave New Internet?

Secret Squirrel secret_squirrel at nym.alias.net
Sat Jan 20 11:36:34 PST 2001

    JULY 13, 2000

     Meet Eater
            The FBI's Plan for Digital Wiretaps Raises More Questions Than It
            Answers

            By Robert X. Cringely

            There is this moment toward the otherwise forgettable end of "Star
            Trek V: The Final Frontier" when this alien creature patterned after
            the Wizard of Oz has even Spock convinced that it is God with a
            capital "G." They are just about to fire-up the Enterprise and take
            "God" back to Earth when Kirk -- probably hoping to avoid the
            military protocol involved with having a deity on the bridge -- asks
            a pivotal question: Why would God need a starship? Couldn't God just
            blink and instantly be in Times Square looking up at the NASDAQ
            sign, wondering why they cut windows into a video screen?

            This scene of the skeptical Kirk flashed in my mind this week as I
            read about Carnivore, the FBI's system for reading the e-mail of bad
            guys. Carnivore is a sealed box that is installed at the network
            operations center of an Internet Service Provider. It filters
            packets, finds e-mail going to and from identified criminals, and
            saves that e-mail for later decryption and analysis. What bothers
            the Internet Service Providers is they have no control over the
            Carnivore box, and no way of protecting the privacy of all the
            customers who aren't drug lords or escaped felons. What bothers the
            American Civil Liberties Union is the likelihood that individuals
            will not only lose their right to privacy, but lose it in a new and
            insidious way.

            What bothers me is the damned box. Why would the FBI need a box?
            Here's all the FBI will say about Carnivore. It sits on the network
            at the ISP, is PC-based, is "a kind of a sniffer," identifies and
            saves packets associated with suspected criminals, is installed
            under a court order, and doesn't itself act as a decryption device.
            There are supposed to be around 20 Carnivore boxes, and they have
            been in use since early this year. You don't need a sealed box to do
            any of these tasks, most of which are already being done for
            completely legal reasons right inside the router at every ISP.
            Routers look at every packet, determine what type of packet it is,
            where it is coming from and where it is going to, then the router
            delivers the packet to its intended destination. This is what
            routers do. Adding the Carnivore task is a simple matter of blind
            copying every packet to or from a bad guy to a third address at the
            J. Edgar Hoover FBI Building in Washington, DC. It's at most a few
            lines of code and requires no additional hardware.

            So why the box?

            The probable reason is because cops like to be in control. They LIKE
            boxes, like delivering them in unmarked cars, like the satisfying
            click of the RJ-45 connector as it slides home. Maybe they don't
            know that it could all be done without a box. Heck, it IS being done
            without a box all the time, and that's where the ACLU is missing the
            point. Sniffers have been running on networks ever since Harry Saal
            invented the device. Every packet at every ISP already goes through
            a sniffer at least part of the time. An ISP could do at any time
            what we fear the FBI might do with Carnivore read the e-mail and
            follow the surfing habits of every pretty blonde customer. Good
            ISPs, which is to say nearly all ISPs don't do this, of course, but
            it happens.

            So why doesn't the FBI just get a court order making the ISP do the
            dirty work? That's what the ISPs wonder, too, especially since
            that's how phone taps are handled. Cops don't really climb poles and
            attach alligator clips to hear phone calls. That's all done at the
            central office by telephone company technicians.

            The FBI, through the use of Carnivore, is trying to grab a little
            more power. And by doing it themselves with Carnivore, the FBI
            doesn't have to reveal the identity of the bad guy or extent to
            which it is using the box. Yeah, right.

            But wait, it gets worse. There are aspects of this case that the
            ACLU hasn't even considered. The Carnivore boxes are what's called
            "co-located" at the ISP. This isn't a rare thing. Many organizations
            like to control their own Web or mail servers and so co-locate them
            at an ISP. Colocation puts your server closer to the Internet
            backbone, eliminates typical T-1 line costs, allows the ISP to
            monitor and reboot the server, and usually comes with nifty things
            like redundant backbone connections and diesel generators in case
            the power goes out. Companies in the co-location business include
            well-known names like AT&T, IBM, and Intel. So there are tens of
            thousands -- maybe hundreds of thousands -- of computers already
            installed just like the FBI installs its Carnivore boxes. What keeps
            those co-located computers from being sniffers, too? Nothing at all.
            For $300 per month, you too could install your own Carnivore box at
            the ISP of your choice. Co-location facilities don't really care
            what you do with your co-located server as long as you keep paying
            the bill.

            More technically astute readers may take exception to this idea of
            private Carnivore boxes since there are ways to isolate ISP traffic
            and keep one box from seeing all the packets on the ISP network. But
            at most ISPs, THOSE TECHNIQUES AREN'T USED.

            This still leaves us wondering why the FBI insists on this program
            that isn't really necessary to do what they say they want to do.
            Beyond my overzealous cop theory, the most obvious possibility is
            that Carnivore is actually intended to do something else, some
            different task than the FBI is saying. Privacy advocates and the
            ACLU seem fixated on the idea that the Feds will use Carnivore to
            eavesdrop on non-criminals. It makes sense to worry about this,
            given past FBI anti-privacy campaigns like the Clipper Chip fiasco
            of several years ago that was supposed to have made it possible for
            the FBI to tap up to 10 million simultaneous telephone
            conversations, even though there are only an average of 1500
            court-ordered phone taps each year in the U.S.

            But I have my own theory about Carnivore. From a network
            architecture standpoint, the best location for Carnivore is right
            after the ISP's router. This puts Carnivore in the path of every
            packet entering or leaving the ISP. It's also a major reason why
            ISPs might not want to install Carnivore boxes -- it's the network's
            point of greatest vulnerability. In this position, Carnivore can act
            as a listening and recording device, OR IT CAN ACT AS A SWITCH. If
            we ever hear a proposal from the FBI in which it plans to install
            Carnivores at all 6000 ISPs in the U.S., we'll be giving the
            government the power to do something it can't do right now.

            Shut the Internet down.

"We've got a Carnivore^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h^h ChildSavor box, we're using
the case as a radio antenna, and we know that's not allowed!"
Timothy C. May               | Shit Disturbing: Anarchy in the streets,
Brain's Moral Compass        | digital money-laundering, zero-knowledge
W.A.S.T.E.D - Proud Author of| gun purchases, collapse of Federal buildings
many prompt checks to the IRS| "Nuts like me give Orrin Hatch wet dreams"

"When the Revolution comes, they'll start working their way through Tim's Killfiles."