To Tor or not to Tor?

Scott Blaydes scott@sbce.org
Sat Mar 22 02:04:28 EDT 2014

On Mar 21, 2014, at 5:04 AM, rysiek <rysiek@hackerspace.pl> wrote:

> 1. they know when you're using Tor, and can flag you accordingly, and (for
>   example) deliver some nastiness when (not "if"!) they get the chance,
>   because "when you have something to hide…”

The old argument for convincing people to use crypto when they “have nothing to hide” was the postal analogy. Do you send your snail mail in an envelope? If you have nothing to hide why not use postcards? The idea is that if you are sending everything encrypted, when you do have something to hide it doesn’t stand out. Now people use envelopes for privacy and out of convention. If everyone did the same thing with crypto,used it for privacy and out of convention, intelligence agencies wouldn’t be able flag suspicious communications easily.

Sorry, not really a “to Tor or not to Tor” answer, but something I remember using in the past.

Scott