[old] NewAE Technology Inc. is the embedded security arsonist.

Thu Jan 18 20:30:41 PST 2024

This content just looks fun. It came up briefly when I was looking into
imaging my mediatek device.

https://github.com/newaetech
https://www.newae.com
https://rtfm.newae.com

ChipWhisperer

ChipWhisperer is an open source toolchain that makes learning about
side-channel attacks easy and affordable. It also serves as a platform for
performing side-channel research in a well documented, cost-effective, and
repeatable way. ChipWhisperer is mostly focused on power analysis
attacks[1] and voltage and clock glitching, which disrupt a device’s power
supply or clock signal to cause unintended behaviour (such as skipping a
password check).

1:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_analysis

Capture¶ <https://rtfm.newae.com/#capture>

Capture contains information about the "capture" side of the ChipWhisperer
hardware. These devices, such as the ChipWhisperer-Lite and
ChipWhisperer-Pro, are the part of the hardware actually performing the
side-channel attacks. For example, they can measure power consumption,
allowing you to recover an encryption key, or insert voltage glitches to
cause mayhem on an embedded device.

Not sure about the differences between capture hardware? We've got a capture
hardware comparison <https://rtfm.newae.com/Capture/>.
Targets¶ <https://rtfm.newae.com/#targets>

Targets contains information about the "target" side of the ChipWhisperer
hardware, which are the devices that you're trying to research attacks on.
These boards make hardware setup much easier compared to boards not
designed for side channel research, such as development boards.

Like with the capture hardware, we've also got a target comparison page
<https://rtfm.newae.com/Targets/>
------------------------------
ChipSHOUTER¶ <https://rtfm.newae.com/#chipshouter>

ChipSHOUTER is a platform for researching electromagnetic fault injection,
which uses intense electromagnetic fields to disrupt a target's operation,
providing a less invasive way to perform glitch attacks compared to the
voltage and clock glitching of the ChipWhisperer. This directory has
documentation for both the ChipSHOUTER, as well as associated targets
designed specifically for exploring electromagnetic fault injection.
------------------------------
Tools¶ <https://rtfm.newae.com/#tools>

This directory contains information on tools that offer new directions for
research and help you extend your attacks to different platforms. For
example, the PhyWhisperer is a device that allows you sniff and trigger
based on USB data. Other examples include an H-Field probe for doing
non-invasive power analysis and analog filters for improving the data that
you collect from power analysis.
Starter Kits¶ <https://rtfm.newae.com/#starter-kits>

NewAE sells much of its hardware bundled together in different kits. This
directory contains information on these bundles.

If you are interested in how to get started in Side-Channel Power Analysis
& Fault Injection, check out some of the "Starter Kits" that include
required hardware. Again, we've got a comparison page
<https://rtfm.newae.com/Starter%20Kits/> for the different starter kits.