SpyVeillance: Thread

grarpamp grarpamp at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 00:23:04 PST 2024

> https://twitter.com/LizaGoitein/status/1734249938333167889
> Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
> RED ALERT: Buried in the House intelligence committee’s Section 702
> “reform” bill, which is schedule for a floor vote as soon as tomorrow,
> is the biggest expansion of surveillance inside the United States
> since the Patriot Act. 1/11

Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
Through a seemingly innocuous change to the definition of “electronic
service communications provider,” the bill vastly expands the universe
of U.S. businesses that can be conscripted to aid the government in
conducting surveillance. 2/11
33
1,665
45
6,237
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
Under current law, the government can compel companies that have
direct access to communications, such as phone, email, and text
messaging service providers, to assist in Section 702 surveillance by
turning over the communications of Section 702 targets. 3/11
12
1,215
24
5,071
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
Under Section 504 of the House intelligence committee’s bill, any
entity that has access to *equipment* on which communications may be
transmitted or stored, such as an ordinary router, is fair game. What
does that mean in practice? It’s simple… 4/11
19
1,263
32
5,009
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
Hotels, libraries, coffee shops, and other places that offer wifi to
their customers could be forced to serve as surrogate spies. They
could be required to configure their systems to ensure that they can
provide the government access to entire streams of communications.
5/11
66
2,166
140
6,505
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
Even a repair person who comes to fix the wifi in your home would meet
the revised definition: that person is an “employee” of a “service
provider” who has “access” to “equipment” (your router) on which
communications are transmitted. 6/11
18
1,286
26
4,980
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
The bill’s sponsors deny that Section 504 is intended to sweep so
broadly. What *is* the provision intended to do, and how is the
government planning to use it? Sorry, that’s classified. 7/11
13
1,115
33
5,100
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
At the end of the day, though, the government’s claimed intent matters
little. What matters is what the provision, on its face, actually
allows—because as we all know by now, the government will interpret
and apply the law as broadly as it can get away with. 8/11
12
992
20
5,046
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
This isn’t a minor or theoretical concern. One of the FISA Court amici
posted a blog to warn Americans about this provision. I can’t
overstate how unusual it is for FISA Court amici to take to the
airwaves in this manner. We’d be foolish to ignore it. 9/11
zwillgen.com/law-enforcement…
House Intelligence Committee FISA “Reform” Bill Would Greatly Expand
the Class of Businesses and...

Yesterday the House Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence
unanimously approved the FISA Reform and Reauthorization Act of 2023
(FRRA), which would reauthorize Section 702 of the Foreign Intell...
zwillgen.com
12
1,897
35
5,793
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
If you don't want to have to worry that the NSA is tapping into
communications at the hotel where you're staying, tell your House
representative to vote NO on the House intelligence bill this week.
More on the many flaws with that bill here: 10/11
brennancenter.org/our-work/r…
FISA "Reform" and Reauthorization Act: The Biggest Expansion in
Government Surveillance Since the...

A one-page document compiled by the Brennan Center for Justice and the
Electronic Privacy Information Center that illustrates how the FISA
"Reform" and Reauthorization Act is the biggest expansion in...
brennancenter.org
40
2,011
80
5,512
Elizabeth Goitein @LizaGoitein
Instead, they should vote for the Protect Liberty & End Warrantless
Surveillance Act, a bill passed by the House Judiciary Committee on a
35-2 vote that would reauthorize Sec. 702 with strong reforms to
protect Americans’ privacy and civil liberties. 11/11
judiciary.house.gov/media/pr…
House Judiciary Committee Applauds Bipartisan Passage of H.R. 6570,
the Protect Liberty and End...

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim
Jordan (R-OH), Ranking Member Jerry Nadler (D-NY), Subcommittee on
Crime and Federal Government Surveillance Chairman Andy Biggs...
judiciary.house.gov
116
1,902
62