The Taylor Swift Takeover Is Finally Complete

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Wed Feb 14 08:11:34 PST 2024

The Taylor Swift Takeover Is Finally Complete
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2024-02-13/taylor-swift-takes-over-football-politics-and-the-world-crash-course

This is hardly an original thought: Taylor Swift embodies a rare cultural
presence and moment — and she’s everywhere. She inhabits her unique place
in the world — amid an unusual amount of glare — with an unusual amount of
grace. But now, and this is what feels oddly fresh to me, a lot of
weirdness has attached itself to her.

She’s encouraged people to register to vote without offering specific takes
on the 2024 presidential election, but Fox News and several of its
commentators keep warning her to stay out of politics. Others in Fox’s
ranks say she’s a military embed that the federal government is using for
psychological warfare (against who and for what, no one knows). And her
romance with Kansas City Chiefs star Travis Kelce? It’s fake, the same
crowd says. It’s part of a different conspiracy, one crafted to get
President Joe Biden re-elected or boost football ratings. Love simply can’t
be the reason they’re together, I guess.