Sat Sep 23 11:32:24 PDT 2023

https://rust-gcc.github.io/

# GCC Front-End For Rust

This is a full alternative implementation of the Rust language on top
of GCC with the goal to become fully upstream with the GNU toolchain.

As this is a front-end project, the compiler will gain full access to
all of GCC's internal middle-end optimization passes which are
distinct from LLVM. For example, users of this compiler can expect to
use the familiar -O2 flags to tune GCC’s optimizer. Going forward, we
will be happy to see more LLVM vs GCC graphs in respect to compilation
speed, resulting code size and performance.

The project is still in an early phase with the goal to compile the
offical Rust test suite. While there is no borrow-checker included
with the compiler yet, we plan to integrate with the
[`polonius`](https://github.com/rust-lang/polonius) effort and
leverage its borrow-checking algorithms.

You can find compiler status reports over on:
[https://github.com/Rust-GCC/Reporting](https://github.com/Rust-GCC/Reporting),
[https://thephilbert.io/](https://thephilbert.io/).

For frequently asked questions please see:
[https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions](https://github.com/Rust-GCC/gccrs/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions)

### Thanks

Thank you to [Open Source Security Inc.](https://www.opensrcsec.com/)
and [Embecosm](https://www.embecosm.com/) for sponsoring this project
to move forward.

We appreciate all feedback from individuals on github.

### Get Involved

* Github: [https://github.com/Rust-GCC](https://github.com/Rust-GCC)
* Zulip: [https://gcc-rust.zulipchat.com/](https://gcc-rust.zulipchat.com/)
* Twitter: [https://twitter.com/gcc_rust](https://twitter.com/gcc_rust)

### RSS

You can stay updated on our progress with this [RSS feed](/feed.xml).