mailbombbin mailbombbin at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 14:00:42 PDT 2023

> To prove the theorem, we proceed by contradiction and assume that an
> L-formula True(n) exists which is true for the natural number n in N if
> and only if n is the Gödel number of a sentence in L that is true in N. We

We assume True(n) reports the truth of a godel-encoded sentence.

> could then use True(n) to define a new L-formula S(m) which is true for
> the natural number m if and only if m is the Gödel number of a formula
> phi(x) (with a free variable x) such that phi(m) is false when interpreted
> in N (i.e. the formula phi(x), when applied to its own Gödel number,
> yields a false statement). If we now consider the Gödel number g of the

We reuse godel's and turing's contradictions, and construct phi(x) and
S(m) such that phi(phi) = false

> formula S(m), and ask whether the sentence S(g) is true in N, we obtain a
> contradiction. (This is known as a [[Diagonal lemma|diagonal argument]].)

True(phi) ....

I'm confused here, but I'm noting a flaw in Godel's counterargument --
this disproof of locally defined truth assumes the logic of Godel's
diagonal argument that uses self-referential statements is valid. If
this logic is not valid, then it could be possible to define truth
within a given system.

I want to understand better.

It's notable that although all this is done in natural number
arithmetic, this may not limit the bounds of the logic systems used if
it can be described within and about natural number arithmetic.