‘The narcissism of small differences’ Is the feminist movement tearing itself apart?

Gunnar Larson g at xny.io
Wed Jul 19 04:43:15 PDT 2023

‘The narcissism of small differences’

Is the feminist movement tearing itself apart? This was one of the
questions that Stacey Abrams, a board member of U.S. nonprofit National
Democratic Institute, and Maliha Khan, the CEO at Women Deliver, tackled in
a wide-ranging fireside chat, which included discussions on empowerment
from television shows “Ted Lasso” and “Buffy the Vampire Slayer,” during
the second day of the Women Deliver conference.

Khan highlighted how “the narcissism of small differences” — an
unwillingness to collaborate with those you share minor differences with —
is shredding the feminist movement.

“It’s like some evil genius sat there and said, ‘How can I get the
feminists to fight each other? Get them to fight over who’s a woman.’ And
that, to me, is a masterful strategy on their part and a foolish naivety on
our part that we’re falling into it,” Khan said.

There shouldn’t be a “sole narrative” within movements, as that restricts
space for conversation and questions — and one of the defining elements of
the Women Deliver conference this week is the space being given to various
groups, Abrams responded.

This also relates to criticism around the decision for Hungarian President
Katalin Novák to speak at the opening ceremony, which we reported on
yesterday. While the organization said they pushed back on the decision to
invite her, Women Deliver ultimately did co-sign the invitation and decided
on speakers collaboratively with the government of Rwanda, the host
country. “As a feminist movement, we have to be inclusive, and we have to
be pragmatic. We don’t always choose the partners that we are working
with,” Khan told Devex.

https://t.devex.com/dc/kyXVoDpAY__Vu56MNr4POlZpa6kaU9C80Z2gMobbDY-u4JOYTdZXHW5s_0og5QgZ8iGe5ySVPCV7xn64lBmzVkVUs8WxJLf99ZcgR28D08jtAQx_0gmFnWD6VBNyvISp5-ub8v08Wrci5Dvx82CJ1PYOyMzK-BfcEeTAd4-PwQTz4UVXq51DDR57MZ3wUirsctEcjDsKUwWZkxcqoP0x3vuMOnZXWlYg6fPXYkxOHHXYOVkGUODtNnNBxVyjoE5b/Njg1LUtCTC03NjUAAAGNDMlyd0iZDUxvcnlH9w-xb-zMXQrR1vHqnjhAclnU9WK8e6pZFg0geCH9f6yURW5QY3SKKK0=