Fwd: [bitcoin-dev] Pull-req to remove the arbitrary limits on OP_Return outputs

Wed Aug 9 01:03:48 PDT 2023

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Todd via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2023 11:42:40 +0000
Subject: [bitcoin-dev] Pull-req to remove the arbitrary limits on
OP_Return outputs
To: bitcoin-dev at lists.linuxfoundation.org

https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/28130

Sjors Provoost suggested that I email this mailing list as notice of my intent
to get a pull-req merged that would remove the arbitrary 80-byte, 1 output /
tx, standardness restrictions on OP_Return outputs. His rationale was that
removing these standardness restrictions could potentially open up additional
transaction pinning(1) vectors. Since this is a potential problem with any
relaxation of standardness rules, I don't consider this to be an important
concern. But consider this email your notice.

At least some miners appear to be mining non-bitcoin-core-standard
transactions. So with respect to the hash power of those miners these pinning
vectors may in fact exist already.