[journal][log] was: Re: How To Blockchain a Git Repository for Public Archive

Sun Dec 11 04:17:00 PST 2022

I am in a state of mind where I can pursue making a script a little
bit to automate uploading and even find other people's repositories a
little bit.

The uploading will be for-pay rather than always-free to ease the
number of things to implement. For the same reason, it will use
centralized services. The purpose is to recover my records after
severe amnesia and possession loss.

> If all the .pack and object files in your bare repository are 100,000
> bytes or smaller, the upload can be made for free. Otherwise, it will
> cost a small number of AR coins. You should get AR coins either way:
> it opens up your options in the future.
>
> If you want to generate a wallet offline, wallet.json is simply a JWK
> file holding a 4096-bit RSA keys. Arweave has an online process at
> https://docs.arweave.org/info/wallets/generating-cold-wallet .

> # install arkb with yarn or npm
> yarn global add arkb
> # or with npm
> #npm install --global arkb

> # check your wallet address and balance if needed
> arkb balance --wallet ~/wallet.json

> # make a dedicated folder to be the upload
> mkdir deployment_dir

> # place the repository in the folder
> git clone --mirror --bare my/remote/repository
> deployment_dir/repository.git

> # generate dumb HTTP information in the repository so it can be cloned
> from a gateway
> git --git-dir deployment_dir/repository.git update-server-info

> # might be optional: add .keepme files to any important empty folders
> find deployment_dir -type d -empty | while read path; do touch
> $path/.keepme; done

> # add an index file to show web browsers, or even entire web content
> echo 'Clone the repository.git subfolder.' > deployment_dir/index.txt

> # deploy with arkb
> arkb deploy deployment_dir --wallet ~/wallet.json --index index.txt
> --bundle --debug
> # or deploy files all <100,000 bytes using node2.bundlr.network
> #arkb deploy deployment_dir --index index.txt --use-bundlr
> https://node2.bundlr.network

> # when arkb finishes, it will output a url on the https://arweave.net/
> gateway
>
> # during times of congestion, it may take multiple runs of arkb for success
> # bundlr automatically retries if that happens; otherwise you may need to
>
> # after a couple blocks have been mined, the repo should be cloneable

The plan is to try to do the bare minimum so as to have both uploading
and enumeration.
I'm thinking I could be much less likely to finish If I get distracted
focusing on improving part of it.