Hacks: Smashing SHA-1 to Shambles for less than 1BTC

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Wed Dec 30 21:55:49 PST 2020

On Thu, Dec 31, 2020 at 12:16:20AM -0500, grarpamp wrote:
> > someone could warm some GPUs and really make a mess of commits to public repos.
>
> Which repos will they target for this fun?

The Torvald's' "oh we can never ever break userspace, not at any cost ever" refusal to simply put in an initiating version string, in protocol "2", in all clients and libs, ready for the flag day, is moronic in the extreme!  Religious zeal proving how brain-firetrucked some folks are...

Learn the lesson, pay the price, move on!

Instead this stupidity lives with us for years now, perhaps decades to come.

Is 5 years reasonable (would have been done already)?  20?  Whatever you choose, start NOW ffs!

Ridiculous...