[OT] [mess] Blockchaining Cypherpunks (was Re: <robotic attempts to forcefully influence things>)

Karl gmkarl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 16:11:54 PST 2020

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 5:01 PM Karl <gmkarl at gmail.com> wrote:

> TLDR: I didn't get very far today, but it was lots of fun to spend the
> whole day trying.  Not sure how well I can repeat it.
>
> It's 2020-12-05T08:26:11-0500, and I'm looking for a recording of
> Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier, semi-oppressive music I've listened to a
> lot, that helps my brain do more things.  It's semi-oppressive because
> its feelings share history mostly from old white male europeans, who
> are already sharing most of the history.
<snip>
> > I tried out storing a month of the cpunks list on a blockchain, which would
> > cost about dollar to store in plaintext if done more efficiently than I
> > did.  This system is more $5 a month.  Here are the links:
> >
> > 2020-September
> > author
> > https://bico.media/fedd0a8368dd68ae495279094435391f0e13291866af7a8a26aa182028af2df6
> > date
> > https://bico.media/bd7fb31a5d7e685fcba3892fd28a7e4f7cc35c57576e7a7812a68746e48c15f1
> > subject
> > https://bico.media/4fe2cc266634e04401d27e366529b83c1f61cecf7767ab53f4b426dcc0590970
> > thread
> > https://bico.media/a41c50edfa8fc0c46d0f46ae82ac8c65e9f925f5c5a731006cb421318cd524e6
> >
> > https://github.com/xloem/cpunks.org-bsv-partial.git

I'm really struggling to do this.  And I'm pretty certain that people
already have.  Right now, I'm stuck.  It's 12:36 EST.

TLDR (too-long-don't-read): I finally put together a script to
blockchain an arbitrary month of emails from the newer cypherpunks,
and pushed that script to git.  It's untested so probably has bugs.
I'm waiting on a long blocktime for a test upload, to test the whole
script.  Sending this e-mail at 19:11 EST.

I'm stuck because a run of bsvup is generating a transaction that
doesn't pass its internal verification.  It could be complex, and I
have a lot of sudden urges and behaviors to manage.  It's 12:37 EST.

My mind blanked.

I'm going to take the parts of the problem, and move them into this
email, I'm afraid, until I can clear up a little.  I'll make this
browser window fill only half the screen.  It's still 12:37.

The screen is to my left.  It is running a test upload that should
complete and do nothing, and then it will run the upload that fails.
It's 12:38 and my mind is blanking and my arm muscles disengaging
again.

Inner landscapes.  Goal: pursue thing that has a very slow process
finding a very small way to continue, ongoing.  It's 12:39.

I'm wearing a caving helmet.  I'm ripping it off for no reason.  It's
still 12:39.
I get to keep it on.  It feels way more uncomfortable than it did 5
seconds ago.  It's still 12:39.

My arms and hands are moving in ways that seem asynchronous and
strange.  It's 12:40.

Here is a space to form thoughts around the task:
----
| space for thoughts around task
----
We can copy it as we change what is in it.
----
| space for thoughts around task
----
The browser window moved all around, and I had to rearrange the email
to be able to edit it.  Right now the window restored to 2/3rds its
normal height, and I'm resetting it to half the screen.  It's 12:41.
----
| time copied: 12:41
| space for thoughts around task
| sidenote: I need a label for the active goal
----
Looking for label for active goal.  Is in front of me, to left.
Relates uploading.  There is a complicating factor.  Part is "Funding
Tasks"
----
| time copied: 12:42
| thing-near-goal: "Funding Tasks"
| sidenote:
----
The system is stuck at 100% cpu, with bsvup "Funding Tasks".  It has
not done this before, and I'm not aware of having changed anything.
Nodejs is not easy to debug, for me.  I prefer python, c, c++.  golang
works in gdb.
----
| time copied: 12:44
| there are 2 issues being handled.  "Funding Tasks" is near the first 1
| sidenote: nodejs is in an infinite loop unrelated to the bug planned
to fix.  there are 2 issues
----
The other issue is that an automatic upload made a transaction larger
than the internal limit.
----
| time copied: 12:45
| issue we ran into: infinite loop during "funding tasks" with only
debugging changes made
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| sidenote: the infinite loop could have been caused by the debugging changes
----
Okay.  Since we are so stuck, ... It's 12:45.  My lower body muscles
have started contracting in a repeating pattern.  I stopped them.
It's 12:46.  My eyes opened wide.  My mind feels blank.
Reminder to self: we have a written description of active task between
hyphens immediately above.  We can go off a bit, but we are planning
to continue the task.
----
| time copied: 12:47
| issue we ran into: infinite loop during "funding tasks" with only
debugging changes made
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| sidenote: the infinite loop could have been caused by the debugging changes
| sidenote 2: I don't know how to return to the task if I 'go off a bit'
----
Urge to rip caving helmet off.  It's 12:47.
We came up with a safety-way.  If I tie myself to the table where the
laptop is, I'll be able to return to the task.  I'd like to pursue
that.  It was really scary earlier.  It's 12:48.  "really scary" in a
"how do i do it" way not a "in serious danger" way.
----
| time copied: 12:47
| issue we ran into: infinite loop during "funding tasks" with only
debugging changes made
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| sidenote: the infinite loop could have been caused by the debugging changes
| sidenote 2: I want to tie myself to the work, so I can feel safe
about returning.  I'm holding this as a goal.
----
I have belts .... I think I can make them work.  Off to find one!  It's 12:49.
I stood up and bumped into stuff looking for a belt, and found one
sitting next to the same laptop I was already sitting at.  It's 12:50
and I'm securing the belt to connect my belt to the table leg.

While I was tying it, I daydreamed about writing 'Yay!  No way am I
undoing that while I'm too confused to make a decision.'  Then I
secured it so the clasp was going over a ripped portion of the belt,
that gets tangled making it incredibly hard to detach.  I ave a knife
somewhere here if I need.  I can't see it anywhere, maybe to protect
myself from using it.  It's 12:51.
----
| time copied: 12:51
| issue we ran into: infinite loop during "funding tasks" with only
debugging changes made
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| sidenote: the infinite loop could have been caused by the debugging changes
| sidenote 2: It feels so safe to have that belt tying me to the table leg.
----
Okay!  Let's ... woah, the process terminated while I was doing that!
It showed a further mistake; I'm debugging it.  It's 12:52 and I'm
working without typing my steps out.
----
| time copied: 12:53
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks" with only
debugging changes made
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| sidenote: the long delay eventually terminated.  it was not caused
by debugging changes; it was running a different binary than the
changes were made in.
----
----
| time copied: 12:54
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks" with only
debugging changes made
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
| sidenote: the long delay eventually terminated.  it was not caused
by debugging changes; it was running a different script than the
changes were made in.
----
I tried to copy the block above, and I couldn't find the cursor on the
screen.  I also have double vision that is changing and moving.  I get
a sharp pain at or near my bellybutton after writing that, and
reconverging my eyes.  It's 12:56 and my eyes keep partly converging
and deconverging.  The block above shows what I am doing and thinking
right now.
----
| time copied: 12:56
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks" with only
debugging changes made
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
| subgoal2: build confidence around the subgoal above.  can the
sidenote be removed?
| sidenote: the long delay eventually terminated.  it was not caused
by debugging changes; it was running a different script than the
changes were made in.
----
I'm reviewing the sidenote with plan to remove it.
----
| time copied: 12:56
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
| subgoal2: build confidence around the subgoal above.  can the
sidenote be removed?
| sidenote: the long delay eventually terminated.  it was not caused
by debugging changes; it was running a different script than the
changes were made in.
----
I came up with a plan to reduce the long delay.  It relates to moving
the error condition to be within the delay.  That would speed up
debugging.
----
----
----
| time copied: 12:58
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
| subgoal2: build confidence around the subgoal above.  can the
sidenote be removed?
| sidenote: the long delay eventually terminated.  it was not caused
by debugging changes; it was running a different script than the
changes were made in.
| sidenote: if the error condition is moved within the 'funding tasks'
loop, it could speed up debugging
----
whew.  so many words above.  I was trying to remove the first sidenote.
I've copied the block to below, but I'm having urge to rip helmet off
again.  I'm reminded of the safety of the belt.  I can pull and yank
on it, and I'll still be near my active task and working memories.
Taking some time to do that.  It's 13:00.  My body relaxed instead of
yanking.  I'm having scalp pains where the helmet is touching.  I just
happened to be wearing it; I like being reminded of caving, and it
helps me feel safe with regard to hitting my head.  It's 13:01 .  I
had a big itch on my forehead and went to scratch, and my hand tried
to pull the helmet off instead of scratching.
----
| time copied: 12:59
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
| subgoal2: build confidence around the subgoal above.  can the
sidenote be removed?
| sidenote: the long delay eventually terminated.  it was not caused
by debugging changes; it was running a different script than the
changes were made in.
| sidenote: if the error condition is moved within the 'funding tasks'
loop, it could speed up debugging
----
It's 13:01 and I'm removing the helmet to reduce the scalp pains.  I
waited until I could form a decision to do so.  The area over the
scalp pain was a strap, not the hard helmet material.  It's 13:02.
----
----
----
|----
----
----
|----
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
| sidenote: if the error condition is moved within the 'funding tasks'
loop, it could speed up debugging
|----
| subarea.  We are trying to remove the first sidenote.
----
I did subgoal3 at 13:03.  It's 13:04.
----
|----
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
|----
| sidenote: if the error condition is moved within the 'funding tasks'
loop, it could speed up debugging
----
change the script so it uses the script we are making changes in, in
our git checkout.
I made it to the terminal window, but resized it to still see this,
and couldn't seem to get farther after that.
----
|----
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
|----
| sidenote: if the error condition is moved within the 'funding tasks'
loop, it could speed up debugging
----
appreciating belt.  it's so nice to know you can't do so many wild
things that are farther away from you than a tether.  my biggest fear
is -- got confused from scared to talk about breaking things.  i don't
want to damage myself, the things around me, or other people, from my
arms flailing around etc, which can get a way to do that.  i am also
scared of being considered dangerous.  it's 13:07.  i'm gonna take a
bit of a break with the belt.  maybe i can do something similar to the
task, to grow familiarity with its parts.  by 'break with the belt' i
mean focusing on the belt, which is nice, for me.
13:08 putting helmet back on.  sometimes i've hit my head on things.
helmet feels nice.  no scalp pain.  i love caving!
it's 13:09 and we're thinking of jokes, which are fun because you
laugh in a way that lets you process stuff.  copying task down.
----
|----
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| subgoal: change the script so it uses the script we are making
changes in, in our git checkout
|----
| sidenote: if the error condition is moved within the 'funding tasks'
loop, it could speed up debugging
----
parts relating around exhaustion.  13:10 .  I think I'll take a nap on
the floor while tied to the table leg.  then I can rest without
leaving my working memories.  It's 13:11 !
It's 13:11 and suddenly I have to pee, which I am doing in a gallon
container I keep for situations like this.  -- got up, 1324.
implemented subgoal, 1325.
----
|----
----
----
|----
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
|----
| sidenote: the slower process is ongoing in 2nd pane.  please multitask.
----
I have some panes open that make it more confusing to look at my
terminal, taking screenspace.  I'm trying out closing them, which
means seeing what they are.  13:28.

13:29 .  I found this note:
--
DISTRACTED:
How to un-incinerate a rat.
This is easy.  Rats break into chemical components, each molecule of
which contains tracks of the information the rat used to know.
You'll need a jar of rat ashes, a radio telescope as large as a
football field, a turntable, a 3d printer, matlab, pytorch, and a
community of computational neuroscientists.
Luckily, we have all of those on this planet.
Call up the neuroscientists, and ask them if it's okay to recover your
family photos from a harddrive if somebody puts a label on it that
says 'terrorist propaganda from the international corporate mafia'.
This may result in the neuroscientists feeling scared, and the phone
conversation being reviewed as training material for spies.  If your
rat is still ashes,
--
I think it involved three different meaningful expressions,
interwound.  I managed to stop typing it and try to work, instead.
| time copied: 13:35 [although i removed the corrupt label here, i
made 1 error updating it, and detection of the error was not confident
it could repeat.]
|----
| present goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks'
loop [speed up debugging]
|----
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: the slower process is ongoing in 2nd pane.  please multitask.
----
----
| time copied: 13:36 [although i removed the corrupt label here, i
made 1 error updating it, and detection of the error was not confident
it could repeat.]
| time finished handling and editing: 13:??
|----
| present goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks'
loop [speed up debugging]
|----
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: the slower process is ongoing in 2nd pane.  please multitask.
----
My water is getting low and I'm remember how there's a clean gallon
container somewhere nearby.  It's 13:37.  Now it's 13:38 and there is
half a sip of water left in my water bottle.
----
|----
----
----
----
----
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote:
----
somebody invented writing, once.  what a waste of time!  how the heck
do you hunt berries with missiles while you're writing stuff down!
----
|----
----
----
|----
----
----
| time copied: 13:44 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 13:??
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks(tasks,
privkey, utxos, feePerKB)
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: could you describe the behavior of the fundTasks function?
| sidenote 2: fundTasks, in order:
| - verifies balance is sufficient
| - begins a loop over all 'tasks' [the loop breaks them into chunks
of tasks, and does a chunk at a time]
| - ... ongoing
----
Interrupted by intensity around the chinese writing in the source
code.  Trying to resume task.  Copied working memory below.  Time is
13:46.  We're noting the contents of the fundTasks function, and can
abandon this process with something more relevent if capacity is too
tight.
----
| time copied: 13:46 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 13:??
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks(tasks,
privkey, utxos, feePerKB)
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: could you describe the behavior of the fundTasks function?
| sidenote 2: fundTasks, in order:
| - verifies balance is sufficient
| - begins a loop over all 'tasks' [the loop breaks them into chunks
of tasks, and does a chunk at a time]
| - makes a new transaction called mapTX
| - loads mapTX with utxo inputs (mapTX.from())
| - ...
----
It's 13:48 .  More-efficient-approach is raising a little.  Notably
asking-directly-for-help.  Landscape wants to ask coderman for help.
Right now, I am in the middle of many nested memory processes, and
just want to do a task successfully.  It's 13:49.  Noting that help
with tasks, or learning of better things, is always appreciated.
----
| time copied: 13:49 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 13:??
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks(tasks,
privkey, utxos, feePerKB)
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: could you describe the behavior of the fundTasks function?
| sidenote 2: fundTasks, in order:
| - verifies balance is sufficient
| - begins a loop over all 'tasks' [the loop breaks them into chunks
of tasks, and does a chunk at a time]
| - makes a new transaction called mapTX
| - loads mapTX with utxo inputs (mapTX.from())
| - produces an output in mapTX for each task
| note: I dislike this part of the code because it means data can be
dropped during chain forks, without invalidating future transactions.
Fixing is low priority here.  I prefer chaining transactions end to
end.
| - ...
----
It's 13:51
----
| time copied: 13:51 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 13:??
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks(tasks,
privkey, utxos, feePerKB)
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: could you describe the behavior of the fundTasks function?
| sidenote 2: the fundTasks description is being moved out of this
box, to organize.
----
fundTasks:
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks(tasks,
privkey, utxos, feePerKB)
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: could you describe the behavior of the fundTasks function?
| sidenote 2: the fundTasks description is being moved out of this
box, to organize.
----
fundTasks:
- verifies balance is sufficient
- begins a loop over all 'tasks' [the loop breaks them into chunks of
tasks, and does a chunk at a time]
- makes a new transaction called mapTX
- loads mapTX with utxo inputs (mapTX.from())
- produces an output in mapTX for each task, and notes it in task.utxo
- signs and prepares the mapTXs.  that is all it does.
- it adds the maptasks to the tasklist, and returns the list.
----
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks(tasks,
privkey, utxos, feePerKB)
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: could you describe the behavior of the fundTasks function?
| sidenote 2: it distributes the coins to the data transactions, but
does not work with data.
----
----
| time copied: 13:56 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 13:56
|----
| present goal: find funding loop, specifically the spot where the
error condition could be put
|----
| goal: move the error condition to within the 'funding tasks' loop
[speed up debugging]
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks(tasks,
privkey, utxos, feePerKB)
| issue we ran into: very long delay during "funding tasks", noticed
on second run
|----
| sidenote: it doesn't look like fundTasks is a place to put the error
condition, but we can use this context to debug the speed issue
better.
----
It's 13:57 and the next trial run finished.  Scrolling up to see if
anything new was output.  Debug information was output as [object
Object].  Better jsonify it.  It's 13:57 and I'm pursuing the goal
more rapidly than when I use the box, but using a process that has a
very long delay in it.
13:58 I discovered I had a pane already opened, which I only saw when
I tried to open the same file, right next to where I tried to open
that same file.
13:59 I implemented the json change, and am having the urge to rip my
helmet off, instead of rerunning the task that throws the error.  I
now have run the task.  And immediately after the time changed to
14:00.  My clock does not show seconds, and I would like to
videorecord myself rather than typing all my words.  It's 14:00 .  I
guess they're not words.  They're not words!  They tiny firings of
neurons.  It's 14:00 .  It's 14:01 and the task is rerunning.

I'm taking some time to consider whether there's a way to narrow down
the error condition.  Let's look for what throws the error.  It
happens in verifyTX.  So, the goal I was _trying_ to load with the
box, is putting verifyTX into the transaction generator, so I can see
the details of the one that fails to verify, right next to the code
that makes the error.  I'll just work straight on that.
It's 14:02 and my belt and helmet are suddenly irritating me a lot.
It's 14:02.  I pulled my chair in to reduce hte irritation, and I am
suddenly quite hungry.  I have had multple bowls of food today.  It's
14:03 .  I'm taking my helmet off, and it's still 14:03 .  It's 14:03,
and I'm stretching and things instead of doing what I want to.  It's
14:04.  Inner landscapes.

I'm going to exfiltrate a goal: put verifyTX into the transaction
generators, so we can stop the code where the issue is caused.
----
|----
| present goal: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
----
----
| time copied: 14:07 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 14:??
|----
| present goal: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
It's 14:08 and I'm waving my waterbottle around, listening to how
empty it is.  Plans are forming in me to undo the belt and get water.
Inner landscapes.  It's 14:09 and an imaginary debate and court are
forming around whether we need to drink. [right now].
It's 14:09 and I am getting more water, with plan to reattach the belt
[if I can get it unattached].
It's 14:10, my belt is detached from hte table, and I am no longer
planning to reattach it.
It's 14:10 and I am reattaching the belt.  It's 14:11 and the belt is
attached very securely in a way that is easier -- less likely to get
tangled.  When undone.  Inner jokes.
Less thirsty.  Still half sip left in bottle.  Meant to type 'have'.
----
----
| time copied: 14:12 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 14:??
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote:
----
It's 14:13 and we are planning on leaving the table and doing
something totally different, and believing we will do this, even
though we are tied to the table.  In the plan, we aren't.  It is very
pleasant and relaxing to do this, and helps us have energy.  It's
14:13 and my head is bobbing in a private way.  Haven't decided
whether to discuss the head bob.  It's 14:14, and I'm trying to
develop good energy around the present goal described above.  It's
14:15 and my hands are trying to distract me.
It's 14:15 and I'm worried because my consciousness is settling into
waiting for the slow task, which is a pretty inefficient approach.
I'm pausing the slow task with ctrl-Z, to not develop the habit of
doing things as slowly as possible when trying to accomplish them in a
timeframe.
It's 14:16 and the task advanced.  Suddenly.  My decision to ctrl-Z
has changed.  It's 14:16 and something strange.  Inner landscapes.
It's 14:17 and I sat with all muscles limp and a blank stare for a
bit, then put my helmet on.  It is rough believing you are brainwashed
to hurt yourself.
It is 14:18 and I slammed my head at the air a bit to process having
slammed my head at objects for real, long ago.
It is 14:18 and the processes I don't understand that seem like they
are pushing me around, are copying the task list down.
----
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have general spread away from present goal.  currently
an intense itch in a non-innervated body area.
----
----
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have general spread away from present goal.  currently
an intense itch in a non-innervated body area.
| sidenote: I have taken over for karl.  I'm associated with
headbanging-the-air.
| sidenote: I think karl says it is okay for me to use and edit hte
above data to do this.
----
----
| time copied: 14:20 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 14:??
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have general spread away from present goal.  currently
an intense itch in a non-innervated body area.
| sidenote: I have taken over for karl.  I'm associated with
headbanging-the-air.
| sidenote: I think karl says it is okay for me to use and edit the
above data to do this.
----
It's 14:21 and the above was about to get processed, but somebody is
calling me, my mother, from another room.  It's 14:21 and I called at
her back, but no reply.  I imagine her having a pang of sadness that I
didn't reply.  I'm staying.
It's 14:22 .
----
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: there was data here that is still being used for memories,
that was deleted
----
----
|----

|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
| information: individual file bug throws ENOENT in prepareUpload
logic.js:40, getFileDatum, logic.js:84, isDirectory, api.js:341
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have made progress in reaching the present goal
| sidenote: inhibition-part relates apology; had not realised this was
valuable behavior [indicates needs better information on reason parts]
----

----
| time copied: 14:28 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 14:??
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
| information: individual file bug throws ENOENT in prepareUpload
logic.js:40, getFileDatum, logic.js:84, isDirectory, api.js:341
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have made progress in reaching the present goal
| sidenote: inhibition-part relates apology; had not realised this was
valuable behavior [indicates needs better information on reason parts]
----
I'm not writing behaviors for a bit.  It's 14:31 and I've restarted
the trial process; the debugging output had an error displaying.

Inner landscapes.  Many of us didn't realise how hard these goals
were.  Maybe there are other goals that would be easier?  That we'd
prefer?  No, the hardness is presently bound to anything that has
effect and impact that we value strongly.  So it doesn't matter much
what we do.  Well, maybe there's a [goal with greater effect?] [yeah
probably.  We need skill at goals in general to do anything at all,
and we're on this one now.] [interesting idea.]  It's 14:33.
It's 14:37 .
----
| time copied: 14:37 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 14:??
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error
| information: individual file bug throws ENOENT in prepareUpload
logic.js:40, getFileDatum, logic.js:84, isDirectory, api.js:341
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have made progress in reaching the present goal
| sidenote: inhibition-part relates apology; had not realised this was
valuable behavior [indicates needs better information on reason parts]
----
14:40.  Hungry again.  No progress developing present goal.  Mostly
staring at it, moving my arms around.  Staring at it written above.
----
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error [i've paused the ongoing upload, to
help value this]
| information: individual file bug throws ENOENT in prepareUpload
logic.js:40, getFileDatum, logic.js:84, isDirectory, api.js:341
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have made progress in reaching the present goal
| sidenote: inhibition-part relates apology; had not realised this was
valuable behavior [indicates needs better information on reason parts]
----
14:42 lots more distracting experiences.  14:43 involuntary dancing
----
| time copied: 14:41 [detected 1 error with decaying habit]
| time finished handling and editing: 14:??
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error [i've paused the ongoing upload, to
help value this]
| information: individual file bug throws ENOENT in prepareUpload
logic.js:40, getFileDatum, logic.js:84, isDirectory, api.js:341
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have made progress in reaching the present goal
| sidenote: inhibition-part relates apology; had not realised this was
valuable behavior [indicates needs better information on reason parts]
----
14:44 I'm detaching the belt and getting food and water.
16:01 I've returned with lots of food and water and other stuff.  I
cooked the food.  My mother had just stomped on the gallon water jug
and thrown it out, and I recovered it and filled it with water.  I'm
belting myself to the table leg again.
16:04 I needed to pee, then when I went to pee I suddenly no longer
needed to pee, and barely could.
----
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error [i've paused the ongoing upload, to
help value this]
| information: individual file bug throws ENOENT in upload cli.js:138,
prepareUpload logic.js:40, getFileDatum, logic.js:84, isDirectory,
api.js:341
| information: the error is caused because logic.js:84 reads the file
from local path to discern if it is a directory.  I don't understand
why this doesn't crash a directory is selected.  testing theory at
16:15
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have made progress in reaching the present goal
| sidenote: inhibition-part relates apology; had not realised this was
valuable behavior [indicates needs better information on reason parts]
----
----
| time copied: 16:15 [detected 2 errors with rare habits]
| time finished handling and editing: 16:??
|----
| present goal: FIX THE INDIVIDUAL FILE BUG, and upload each file
individually to isolate the error [i've paused the ongoing upload, to
help value this]
| information: individual file bug throws ENOENT in upload cli.js:138,
prepareUpload logic.js:40, getFileDatum, logic.js:84, isDirectory,
api.js:341
| information: the error is caused because logic.js:84 reads the file
from local path to discern if it is a directory.  I don't understand
why this doesn't crash a directory is selected.  testing theory at
16:15
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
| idea: add profiling to code
| idea: generate transactions immediately when reading files [probably-too-big]
| idea: fix the individual file bug, and upload each file individually
to isolate the error
|----
| goal: speed up debugging
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| issue: this is going slowly for 3 reasons.  personal issues, funding
tasks, and checking existence
|----
| sidenote: we have made progress in reaching the present goal
| sidenote: inhibition-part relates apology; had not realised this was
valuable behavior [indicates needs better information on reason parts]
----
It's 4:41.  My browser had unloaded this page while I was looking at
github stuff to figure things out.  I've fixed two bugs in bsvup
without testing them thoroughly, and narrowed down the primary goal.
My clock is military time.  Interesting I automatically ocnverted to PM.
----
|----
| present goal: review the map transaction generation to see why it
could exceed a size limit
|----
| idea: call verifyTX immediately when transactions are generated
.asdf not sure where i am typing but a computer glitch put the cursor
here.  looks like it teleported it up about 3 pages of text.| idea:
add profiling to code
|----
| goal: handle transaction being made that exceeds limits
| goal: test single file uploading
| goal: speed up debugging
| information: the transaction that is too large is a map transaction.
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
|----
| sidenote: the merged2 local bsvup branch contains 2 fixes that have
not been submitted as PRs.  they should be submitted if the branch
works well.  They are exit code, and single-files.
----
----
|----
|----
|----
| sidenote: the merged2 local bsvup branch contains 2 fixes that have
not been submitted as PRs.  they should be submitted if the branch
works well.  They are exit code, and single-files.
----

A map output script is 25 bytes long.  They are capped at 1000 count,
and many 1000 count map transactions have already been broadcast.  I'm
adding more details to the thrown error.  I'll also find the command
that specifically raises it, to speed things up.

It's 16:59, and I'm guessing that the issue is caused from the number
of inputs present.  We can calculate the input size and subtract.  I'm
betting that'll fix it, and I'll work on that while I wait for this
next run with extra debugging info to run ... I haven't even finished
adding all the debugging info.

----
|----
|----
| goal: handle map transaction being made that exceeds limits
| goal: test single file uploading
| goal: speed up debugging
| information: the transaction that is too large is a map transaction.
| information: Funding Tasks is at logic.js:350 in fundTasks()
| information: fundTasks() makes the map transaction to distribute coins.
| information: verifyTX is in txUtil.js
|----
| sidenote: the merged2 local bsvup branch contains 2 fixes that have
not been submitted as PRs.  they should be submitted if the branch
works well.  They are exit code, and single-files.
----
17:09 I attempted a fix of the issue.  I am sitting waiting for it to
run, rather than doing anything.  It is hard to alter one's own
choices, and I'm kind of okay just sitting here right now, even though
in general I'd rather do things.  17:11 Okay, I remember I wanted to
test my single file uploading fix.  I'll find a single file to upload
that'll get uploaded anyway.  17:13 looks like it's working ok.  This
also tests part of the map transaction, pleasantly.  I won't broadcast
it because I'm unsure of the double spend situation.

The PR is at https://github.com/monkeylord/bsvup/pull/34 for single
file uploads.  I came back to this email and it showed an old copy of
the draft.  I must have two email windows open, thinking it is one.
That'll confuse me for sure.  It's 17:15

The other bugfix is at https://github.com/monkeylord/bsvup/pull/35 .
The computer glitch the moved the cursor three pages happened the
first time I hit that period, '.' right after 35 and a space.  I had a
body glitch too, so I probably hit some key other than space or
period.  I handle a lot of sudden surprises; it's hard to know why
caused the other.

It's doing the long funding tasks run.  It has to merge a lot of
existing utxos into a lot more utxos to meet the hardcoded map
behavior that I don't understand the reason for.  It doesn't seem like
it should take this long.  It's 17:20 .  I'm waiting here so my
resistance patterns can have a break.

If this works then I'll have a big chunk of a script that can
automatically upload months =)  Almost completed =)  And it links to
raw emails from the web emails, now.  Some of those headers are weird
looking, for sure.  Notably the web interface doesn't include pgp
stuff, which is crummy.  Must have been made before that was a thing,
I guess.

Another thing I want to work on is seeing if the cypherpunks-legacy
stuff works the same as the cypherpunks stuff, and having it check
both lists when archiving a month.

It's 17:23 and I'm reinforcing one of my control and inhibition
patterns to relax, which is crummy.  Guess I shouldn't relax quite so
much, but it is so much more relaxing to do that.

I'm reviewing the current task and I'm surprised that it's going over
stuff I -- that is different from what I expected and thought was
going on. 17:25 it's uploading the txlinks, and I thought it was
uploading the attachments.

17:26 my single file upload test failed before trying to broadcast.
Same oversized transaction issue.  Guess I didn't fix it.  The
debugging output is too long to see anything: the transaction dump
fills the whole backlog.
17:28 bsvup stores a dump of its transactions.  I forgot about this.
This should make debugging quite straightforward. 17:28 inner
landscapes identified an inhibition/distraction choice and i'm trying
not to make it.  it's very hard; it keeps moving somewhere else when
addressed.  ... it went poorly [but was partly managed].  17:29. [it
took/made a bargain of being able to spread instead of act as
strongly].  17:30 . [they happen like fights.  it made a successful
fight and we dodged and it grabbed hold] <let's try not to open more
of that up; i don't know how to close it and stay on task>.  17:31.

17:32 The problematic transaction? may be a 34000 byte one.  Mother
calling, cannot hear.  Am belted to table.  She needs help carrying
something.  It's 17:32 and I'm unbelting myself.  The max transaction
size is 1 million, so I'm looking at the wrong thing.  It's hardcoded;
I don't know what the network maximum is, but htey always raise it.
17:33 afk  17:37 back.  Choosing to return weakened my decision-making
capacity.  check sizes of all txs in debug file.

17:38 the test run finished.  the problematic tx is 2110440 bytes
long, twice the hardcoded max.  I guess the most reliable way to
figure this out is to review that transaction.  17:41 it's exporting
the transaction next failure, if I didn't make too many typos.  17:42
I'm taking this wait time, to rebelt myself.  17:43 eating some food.
Propose to try to force work after food. [proposing, i mean].

17:48 I think I'll review the code that selects the number of outputs.

17:49 noted that I dropped the size per output to 42% but kept the max
number of outputs at 1000.  I should change max_output to a number of
bytes to allocate to outputs.
17:51 running a test with change.  other test finished and i have
transaction details I can look at now.  17:52 ohhh no I don't.  made a
typo in the error handler. orrr ... something.  earlier the 'fs'
module didn't need requiring.  maybe that's only in node shell or
something.  17:53 I had my work open on a smaller laptop, and I just
noticed it has turned itself off, and the battery is not charging
despite it being plugged in.  some loose connection I suppose ...
17:55 I tested the 12v power adapter on the other laptop with a
voltmeter, and it is only producing about 0.5V.  17:56 the other end
fell out of the wall.  maybe residual charge.  it looke dlike it was
in well, but i can't see well at all.  It's 17:56 and a test is
running that may fix the issue, and may have better debug output.
It's doing the slow 'Funding Tasks' loop.  slowlness seems caused by
all the utxos.  Let's look at that loop a little.

There are two lines here that might slow it down ... but there's
another assumption tha tlikely makes it even slower.  When it pulls
numOutputs out of mytasks; yeah.  It's copying the entire range of
outputs every iteration, because it pulls the outputs from the start
of the list instead of the end.  But that's output-dependent not
input-dependent ....  maybe I'll just throw some timing calls in here,
and do some hand-profiling.  18:02 the test hit the same typo I
thought I fixed.  if it hits it again, it means I didn't fix it.

18:06 I added profile checks, untested, around all the parts of
fundTasks that loop over something.  Every use of arrays here uses
unshift() instead of pop(), so that's probably why it's so slow.
Maybe I can go through and change all the logic to pop, or at least
change it to pop where it doesn't look like it would matter ... It's
18:07

It's 18:15.  A profile test is running, and there is data on the bad
transaction that I haven't looked at.  I might be able to resolve it
just with hte data.  The .json tx file just says '[object Object]',
guess I did that wrong.  I'll fix it.  18:16.  noooo it will take too
long for another run.  I'll use the hex file just.
The bad tx has 49 outputs.  and is only 8613 bytes long.  This sure
didn't work.  doesn't verify.  hmm.  the actual length is 2 million.
maybe i need to convert it to a buffer from hex.  same thing,
converting to a buffer.  hrm.  there we go; conversion issue.  18:20
The bad tx has 1 output.  And 7154 inputs.
The profiling result is that remaining delay is all within a single
chunk I called 'finalise maptx'; kinda surprising.  maybe it's the
signing that is so slow.
Looks like it's using too many utxos as inputs.  [i kind of want to
just get rid of the map transactions,and send utxos straight to data
transactions, but then i would have to add change outputs to them, I
suppose; not ready for storing that plan in my working memory]

Slowness is in: finalise maptx
Issue is: too many inputs.  verify that.  count=7154 .  Yes, 7154 *
156 > 1 million.  I guess we want to cap the input count.  18:30
running another test.  profile information is drilled down ... hey! it
went fast, and succeeded! nice.  I'll remove my speedup changes and
see if it still fast.  18:31 Yes, the issues were all from the input
overflow, or something, i guess.  let's condense this fix and test
with just it.
18:35 testing single file upload for real.  Funding Tasks had a little
delay, but is reasonable.  My speedups were removed for clarity
submitted a PR.  Don't know if threy had much impact, didn't check
really.  18:36 single file seemed to upload fine.  I'll wait for it to
finish and then try the other thing.  Meanwhile I'll remove all my
commented out stuff and submit the PR.  18:42
https://github.com/monkeylord/bsvup/pull/36 .  Still waiting on a
block confirmation for the single file upload.

18:45 still waiting on block confirmation.  Inner landscape directing
me to check cpunks list, which is just a strong habit I have built up.
I want to verify the month.bash file will do something productive if
running it as a test works.  Okay.  I wanted to check that the mutated
message htmls produce good links to raw emails.  18:47 and I can check
that while waiting on this block.  18:49 A random example email looks
great.  I think I'll add the server numbers to the output, since they
aren't in the url when the url is a transaction id.  18:54 added the
numbers, generated, tested.  Still waiting on a block.
18:56 The next step for month.bash is to generate the index files,
like I did by hand earlier.  I think that just means running them
rthrough the mutator .... I remember there's something I'm forgetting,
but maybe I can at least add that code.

There's a prorotype month.bash!  It's 18:58.  I've set all the upload
calls to wait for confirmation, since I've never tried them yet.
Still waiting on a block.  I'm kinda confused still.  Just sitting and
resting.  Trying to think of what I'm intending to do here; I don't
really know.  Or maybe any other things on my plate I've forgotten.

I remember the txlink situation could be confused.  I'll review the
current map for txlink paths and see what there is.  it's 19:00 .
There are no txlink entries in the map file!  I guess I dealt with
that.  [typed 'dealth' at first.]  so, when it runs, i want to make
sure it uploads newly generated txlinks and not cruft txlinks.  19:02
inner ... landscapes?
sometimes i mess up my inner landscapes and start doing things to
myself that are really freaky and i'm near there right now.  there are
ways to really mess up my memory, beliefs, ability to learn, pain and
suffering and such ...  it takes a while for things to fade out when i
mess that up ...

i guess i'll set up for closing up.  i'll push my changes into a
merged branch and set the script to use it, etc.  19:09 pushed.