IQNets: OFFSystem - cursory review and conclusion

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Sat Oct 26 00:17:36 PDT 2019

On Sat, Oct 26, 2019 at 09:42:44AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> Original copyrighted, now discarded blocks: A D
>
> Block store: B (pure random data), C and E ('encodings' of A and D)
>
> Who owns the copyrights on the various blocks?:
>
> Block A is regenerated using B XOR C.
>
> Block D is regenerated using E XOR C, where C was chosen completely
> randomly.
>
> Block C is an encoding of A.
>
> Block E is an encoding of C, so E is also, quite evidently, an
> encoding of A, and in fact E { XOR C XOR B } gives A, so copyright

The above function is incorrect on second reading, so let's correct
it:

E XOR C = D, and of course E XOR D = C

(remember D was discarded from our block store)

so:

E XOR D XOR B = A

or to use only blocks available in our block store:

E XOR (E XOR C) XOR B = A

Hopefully this is now correct :)

And note, without any other information (namely the block list for
XORing to recreate A or D), and because of the nature of block B,
we know that block E, by itself, is statistically completely random -
indistinguishable from pure random data (likewise, so is block C);

it is only someone who knows that C XOR B will produce block A, who
can even say "ahah! block C is therefore, obviously and
mathematically, an encoding of copyrighted block A".

But, this very same mathematics of encoding, as we see above,
demonstrates mathematically and with absolute certainty, that block E
is likewise an encoding of block A.

One can postulate that this above insight from circa 2000, is why
statute law at least since then equates "copyright infringement" with
downloading and not with storage of the copyrighted material -
although I think storage is also covered, at least in Australian
jurisdiction.

Notwithstanding this legislative shift to "downloading", one can
readily use the same above maths to get around this same problem by,
for example, using a shared base public domain block set, say 1GiB,
10GiB and 100GiB (depending on the size of files you wish to torrent)
and then only ever distributing encodings of the base file set,
which, for those in the know, just happen to also match Disney's
latest Princess Snowflake syndrome programming material.

As long as you have the base file set, which gets reused and is the
only block set that gets reused (for torrents up to that size), then
it is only the base file/block set that you cannot delete from your
block store, making individual libraries (as opposed to large shared
community libraries) viable (end users with private libraries, here
and there will need to purge older content).

  "So lads, I happen to have this one little secret high quality
   encoding of the Wikipedia base media collection y'all might be
   interested in - I needed a totally random new name for it since
   there are already so many encodings of it getting around (I know,
   I know, we're utter sluts for Wikipedia yo!), so for a name, I
   just happened to chose

    "Wikimedia 100GiB encoding, Game of Thrones Supre Mega HQ DVD
     Bluray WebRip, so sad 2019 miscegenation edition"

   Get it while it's hot! - Oh, and by the way, I had an encoding
   problem, so only the first 27.12 GiBs has been encoded, sorry
   about that =)"

Question is, is there a bush lawyer or actual lawyer who can say
whether this would actually be useful if defending a MAFIAA court
case?