minion-design.pdf / low bandwidth high latency long term connections

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Oct 21 18:40:25 PDT 2019

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 10:38:55PM -0300, Punk - Stasi 2.0 wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 11:03:59 +1100
> Zenaan Harkness <zen at freedbms.net> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 06:58:57PM -0300, Punk - Stasi 2.0 wrote:
> > >
> > > 	courtesy of tor scum dingledine and matheson and a GCHQ guy, danezis who now works for facebook-NSA as well. Wait, facebook, nsa, gchq, university of london, etc so many aliases for the same mafia.
> > >

> > > 	anyway :  https://www.mixminion.net/minion-design.pdf
> >
> > Have not begun to read that yet,
>
> 	there's a good deal of handwaving bullshit in there
>
> "The adversary can delay messages...The efficacy of this attack is poorly understood, but
> it may well be quite damaging"
>
> 	so they admit that their own fucking system is 'poorly understood' by their own fucking selves and may be 'quite damaged' - well I guess that's at least half honest.
>

> "Dummy traffic is an old approach to improving anonymity, but its efficacy is still not well analyzed."
>
> 	oh really?
>
> "We need stronger intuition about how to use dummy messages."
>
> 	...stronger...intuition...?
>
> "While many people have speculated about the benefits of dummy traffic, we have not yet seen any  convincing analysis."
>

> "Exit attacks - Use the mix network to send hate mail"
> "ISPs do not tolerate systems that potentially deliver hate mail"
>

> 	...'hate mail'? agents of the child murdering pentagon like dingledine are worried about 'hate mail'...?
>

> 	bottom line for me is that the system is (a lot) more complex than I expected - and doesn't seem too reliable either.
>

> 	The 'acknowledgments' section is kinda 'intersting' too....
>
> 	cohen and 'zooko' wilcox get mentioned and..."We further thank all the unnamed cypherpunks out there who have worked on remailer issues for the past decades."
>

> 	isn't the collaboration between 'cypherpunks' and the pentagon quite touching.

Indeed.

covfefe net is the UDP network layer chaff fill, packet switched
network.

This is where chaff fill - those "dummy messages" mentioned above -
needs to be done, in the network layer.
The reason?  Once available, any "message" or "stream" type can layer
on top (including TCP) - the nature of a network layer of course.