http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2004/09/disreputable-men.html

Ryan Carboni ryacko at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 12:37:23 PDT 2017

http://rigorousintuition.blogspot.com/2004/09/disreputable-men.html

Gary Sick's is an interesting story. Sick is the author of October
Surprise, one of the best accounts of the covert deal struck in the Fall of
1980 between senior Republicans, arms merchants and Iranian mullahs to
delay the return of the American hostages until Ronald Reagan's
inauguration. But as interesting as it is, that's not the story I mean. I'm
talking about Sick's own story: his passage from career White House insider
to "conspiracy theorist."

My experience was not unlike that of a medieval scholar discovering traces
of a hidden text beneath the script of an old parchment.... I felt as if I
were wandering into a spy novel. The backgrounds and activies of some of
these individuals who were emerging from the shadows of this operation
seemed to come out of fiction, and yet they were real.... most of my
professional life had been spent as an analyst of political and military
intelligence. I knew that there were operatives for hire, ready to skirt
the law for money, perhaps out of habit or duty, or simply for the thrill
and sense of power illegal acts conveyed. But it was nonetheless a shock to
meet them....

Such characters are a researcher's nemesis; they are meant to be. When the
CIA or other intelligence agencies need to hire a "contractor," who may be
required to carry out taks that are potentially dangerous and of
questionable legality, they look for three things: a specific and useful
skill (a knowledge of money-laundering, perhaps); a romantic streak that
glorifies both the secrecy and the risk; and a propensity for exageration
and trouble. One former CIA officer, David MacMichael, has said that the
agency looks for these freelancers at small community airports and gun
ranges - places where men go to excape the boredom of everyday life.
Looking for adventure, these men are fascinated by the imagined glamour and
excitement of the world of espionage. MacMichael said that often, after one
or two assignments, the agency will put a contractor on a case in which he
runs afoul of the law. The contractor finds himself in a compromising
position - nothing so major as to put him permanently out of commission,
but significant enough that if he ever starts telling tales out of school
about covert operations, his record will discredit his testimony.

Take, for instance, the case of Delmart Vreeland. A scoundrel by every
account, but also one with exceptional information for those with ears to
hear. He did pass on the "Let one happen, stop the rest" warning from a
Toronto jail cell before 9/11; his claim that Canadian diplomat Marc
Bastien had been poisoned in Moscow has been proven correct; the Pentagon
unwittingly acknowledged his lengthy service record when it was called in
open court, by relying on archived records undamaged by the 9/11 attack
from which he had not been purged (the prosecution argued, incredibly, that
Vreeland must have hacked into the Pentgon files from his jail cell); Leo
Wanta, longtime intelligence asset who destabilized the Soviet ruble in the
'80s at the White House request, confirmed Vreeland was an operative of the
Office of Naval Intelligence; his lawyers did receive death threats and
found their files vandalized; and Vreeland has vanished.

But none of that matters to the coincidentalists, who stubbornly refuse to
see deeper than the "legends" created for men like Vreeland, which is
precisely the point. So Lee Harvey Oswald is a "communist," and Barry Seal
just a drug runner. That Oswald was seen with the CIA's David Atlee
Phillips in September 1963, and Barry Seal was gunned down with Vice
President George Bush's personal phone number in his trunk, need to be
ignored. The coincidentalists can't make sense of such evidence, that
respectable men would have anything to do with such characters. But without
them, some respectable men would be able to do very little.

---

Well, Vreeland had since the essay been written, convicted of soliciting
child prostitution in Franklin County, which is a bit messed up if you
heard the backstory of Franklin County.

The moment we live in a free society is probably when Kiriakou is working
at an Apple Store and is visited by the Attorney General and when Thomas
Drake has a fellowship with a major think tank, and it is when Delmart
Vreeland is a free man not on trumped up charges.

I think Marine One with Obama in it flew by my house once.